Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One year post fusion, wondering about hardware pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi guys, I just found this forum.....I wish I had a long time ago, anyway.

As I said, I am exactly one year out from my L5-L6-S1 fusion. I've been having this extremely irritating pain in my lower back, just to the right of my spine for about two months. It feels similar to sciatic pain but it doesn't go down into my leg, it just radiates out to an area about the size of the palm of your hand. I went to see my surgeon Monday, he felt around and said the area I was complaining about was directly above some of the hardware. He recommended an MRI, water therapy, then injections and finally (if everything points to it) hardware removal. He did say that the fusion looked beautiful (x rays), so that was good news.

I guess my question is for those of you that have had hardware pain / had it removed. What does the pain feel like? Is it nerve irritation or more *pain*? What was the removal process like? How are you since the removal?

Thanks you!

• He had a fusion in the same spot as you, and is in terrible pain. He had his done a year ago in October. He has a appt. next month to see a different surgeon than the one that did his surgery. I hope that everything works out for you. This is a great place, and welcome >:D< >:D<

• I had my hardware removed after only 7 months. Click on the link in my signature below for more details. However, in summary I had both a sharp localised pain at the location of one screw, which was especially bad when I bent forward. I also had leg pain (sciatic) because the screw was impinging on a nerve root.

The removal surgery was still major, but way easier than the original fusion surgery and I was back at work full time after two weeks.

All the best to you... Bruce
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• If you are fused, hardware isn't doing you any good. I think it is a good idea that your doc wants you to do some therapy first before he jumps into surgery. Having said that, hardware removal surgery is a cakewalk compared to getting the hardware put in! For me, just an overnight stay and when they wheeled me from OR to my room, I got off cart and walked to bathroom and then to my bed. Yeah, it does hurt, but not that bad. Ice(I had one of those cryo pads where a pump continuously circulates ice water thru a pad I laid on) felt just as good on my incision as using morphine pain pump. It hurts to move the first few days but Bruce is right, you can go back to work very quickly if no complications.