Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie from England

dorset boyddorset boy Posts: 148
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi to one & all, I'm Ian from Dorset in England.
I am two years post 3 level fusion L3-S1, two titanium cages, bone grafts, "x stop" 4 rods & 8 screws. I had the nerves cut in my left foor during the surgery (which I knew could be a risk) which has left me with a permanent walking disability. Like a few peoples stories that I have read, I did too much too soon after surgery, I was at home in 45 hrs & back in full time work in 6 weeks & re-injured myself within a few months.
I'm still living (after 4.5 years) on MST morphine with a few tylex thrown in for good measure & trying to work 6 days a week.
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry you've had a rough go of it. That's amazing you're working 6 days a week. See you around the posts. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • haven't got a choice really, run my own estate agency which is depressing enough in a market like this which I think isn't quite as bad as the US market but heading that way quickly!
  • Here's another welcome from Spine Health and this one's from the US. You have certainly been through a lot and I'm sorry you have that permanent injury. I am amazed to hear you work 6 days a week. I watch the news every day in the hopes that the markets will rebound from all of this. So far things look depressing here and one can only hope for the better. I had a 2 level fusion with the titanium rods, screws, cage, etc but even so I'm left with chronic back pain and nerve damage in one leg. I too have to take meds to manage my pain. Well, it's nice to meet you and I look forward to hearing from you. Take care
  • Thanks for touching base with me, its been really great to talk to other people that have similar stories. I only keep working as if I stopped i could see me spiral into depression which I have managed to keep at bay! I would lose my business - which I may do soon anyway if the property market doesn't pick up, which means I would lose my home & having a parent living with me that thought is too dreadful to consider, anyway who would hire a cripple like me!??! LOL I have good days & bad days, today so far likes like being a good day!! on a good day the pain in my back is stable in one spot & the sciatica in both legs is at a level where you know its there & hurts or throbs but its not all consuming. On a bad day I don't know what to do with myself & quite often have to go home pop another couple of mls of oramorph & then try to sleep off the worse effects of that! Thanks for your message, speak to you soon.
    Ian
  • Thanks for touching base with me, its been really great to talk to other people that have similar stories. I only keep working as if I stopped i could see me spiral into depression which I have managed to keep at bay! I would lose my business - which I may do soon anyway if the property market doesn't pick up, which means I would lose my home & having a parent living with me that thought is too dreadful to consider, anyway who would hire a cripple like me!??! LOL I have good days & bad days, today so far likes like being a good day!! on a good day the pain in my back is stable in one spot & the sciatica in both legs is at a level where you know its there & hurts or throbs but its not all consuming. On a bad day I don't know what to do with myself & quite often have to go home pop another couple of mls of oramorph & then try to sleep off the worse effects of that! Thanks for your message, speak to you soon.
    Ian
    Ian
  • didn't mean to post mulitple replies, don't know how to delete them!!
  • Firstly Welcome to Spine Health, and secondly I hope you are having a good day !
    I am a fellow Brit, I come from Yorkshire, but have made my home in Denmark for the last 18 years, having met and married a Dane. There are quite a few Brits here in fact there was a post a bit back you can have a look through

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/any-uk-people

You asked if there was a British site, there is one I know of
    http://www.painconcern.org.uk/discuss/

if you have a look at the "useful websites" page on there, you will find some British only stuff, there are only 90 registered members and the discussion forum is a bit bleak, but there are some interesting questions and articles. I believe it is a registered charity site. There is a `phone help line so you can be put in touch with other pain sufferers which is a cool idea for those days ( or nights ) when everything is getting too much, and you need a friendly, understanding voice.

However I personally stick with this forum and love the advantage of the different time zones and the fact that we can be helped through hideous insomniac hours by some one thousands of miles away, I like hearing about "the spine/pain experience" in other countries and the support I receive in chat is priceless, whatever my problem or mood, there is always some help whether it is practical advice, black spiney jokes and humour or just a chat with someone in a like situation who understands your situation because they are in the same sort of pain. I have made many friends here , especially in chat. ( So please do pop in sometime and say hello !)

Knowing you are not alone during this ride is the best thing for you !

Best Wishes Viking :)))
  • long time no chat ..hows things .do you still go in the chat rooms?{STRAKER WAS MURPHY}
  • i've had a look at the uk site which was a bit depressing!! will stick here i think!! when I get time I will look at the other thread you mentioned, dorset boy
  • im paula and im from ireland.
    ive been on this site a very long time and its
    the best thing that ever happened to me...love
    this place and the people that come with it!!
    ive met some wonderful life long friends here
    from all over the world.
    please come to chat we do have great fun
    there and it is so good to actually talk to
    people who understand your pain.

LOVE P
  • I have had the odd look at the site previously, actually my spinal surgeon told me about the site!! about 2 1/2 years ago before I have main large fusion/stabalisation surgey as he thought it might be good to see some of the videos which explain the different types of surgery & what is involved. I'm kind of better when I know in details whats going to happen & the likely outcomes - good or bad as at least I know what to expect.
    It's things getting me down a bit at the mo that has actually galvinised me to registering & posting & so far i'm having a ball. Apart form work I don't go out & socalise much apart from Lions Club & since i moved to my current town 5 years ago, & injured my back within 6 months i haven't made any great friends & don't have many people to discuss things with & those I do are sick of hearing about it to a degree as they are pain free!
    I will visit chat again but I don't get the abreviations & I can't type that fast, but it is fun to see!!!!
    thanks for replying & I'll catch you soon. dorset boy
advertisement