Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Definition of numbness

Shell74Shell74 Posts: 300
This may sound silly but can someone give me the official definition of numbness. The doctor always asks and I am wondering if I am telling him the right thing.

My legs are freezing today, I am wrapped in a down comforter with a heating pad on my legs and I feel like I am walking in the snow. They are burning and tingling and are hyper sensitive when bumped.

Thanks a bunch!

• I tell my doctor that I can feel but it the feeling is not right it feels weird not quite numb but weird and he says he understands maybe that will help you .
  • i wonder if numbness is on a continuum, like from 0 - 10?? I'm never completley numb, but i have sensations like tingling, and the tingling feels as if it want to move towards either completely numb or to freezing, and its in a state of limbo... :/
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • Most of the pains that we have go down one leg from a central point or the other leg or both, exacerbated when coughing and sneezing or alternate leg raises. Most of my physicals were of sensation itself and one area may feel less aware of touch than another, or that the arch of my foot when scratched would feel less responsive than the other. Most of these tests are standard when assessing patients. As you say they can provide many other symptoms all equally important to every person and with some unique elements and similarities, when it is missing you will know.

Take care John
  • You might want to try this test. It's supposed to determine if there is any nerve damage which numbness could be.
  • What you are describing are symptoms of nerve pain...the change in temperature, tingling, pins and needles, electrical feelings, etc. Numbness is a loss of feeling, which can be partial or complete, or a loss of sensation.

The nerve sensations can feel like numbness but may not necessarily result in permanent loss of nerve function.

I think the only way to judge what is going on is to have a nerve conduction study and an EMG.