Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

need advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am new to this site, I am in need of some advice pertaining to neck pain I am having. I have been going to a Chiropracter 3 times a week since jan 8..my xrays show the problem is in the C6 & C7 area of the neck...The neck pain is constant and somewhat pinching pain.. Often times at night my left arm goes numb.. a friend of mine gave me a few muscle relaxers and that only worked for a couple of hours.. I use a ice pack & heat everyday and every evening i sit in my massage recliner which seems to be the only place I can get some relief..
My Dr. thinks my problem relates to posture and has given me stretching exercises which I do 3 times a day..
I am considering getting a second opinion because I am not getting any relief with the process i am going thru now..In fact the pain is worse after treatment..

Any suggestions??

• Ditch the chriopracter,and have your primary doctor get a mri for you....
  • If chiropractic was going to solve the problem, it would have done so in just a few visits.
    I agree, you need to get x-rays or MRI, and a detailed examination done.
    Posture does affect the spine and if poor may well aggravate it.
    You will also be getting tired, sore muscles from trying to protect the neck.
    A muscle relaxant will work for only a short time, so keep taking them until you get other treatment.
    Tight muscles will take quite a while to relax.
    Try hot baths too.
    Check your pillow for comfort. Try different heights and density. Start with no pillow and work up. You'll probably want a soft one but with a bit of support.
    Don't lie on a couch where your head is propped on an arm rest.
    Just be watchful of what you do throughout the day with your neck, looking out for things that might aggravate it.
  • I really believe that if you feel a pinching sensation and the pain you describe you are not doing yourself any favors by continuing with the chiropractor. He/She should have suggested this already. I'm not a big fan of chiropractors but when it comes to radicular pain which is what you described in your left arm it's time to see the big guys that can offer you permanent relief.
  • I started having some pretty similar issues and went to a chiropractor for about a year. It did eventually feel better however I never used heat as it aggrivated the nerves and made it worse. After I stopped going, my problems returned. Then it just got worse and worse with two other incidents of heavy lifting. I am going for surgery March 26. I have tried it all. Get a MRI and find a NS. Don't wait! I waited 6 years and gained 70 pounds. I have stopped playing golf and doing all the outside things I love. Don't make my mistakes.