Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre-Surgery Pain Management

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Pain Management
I've been told by my DO my prescription pain meds need to be as low dosages as possible before surgery. He said otherwise the medical team would have more difficulty managing my post-surgical pain. He also said breathing issues could arise.

I am due to have cervical spine surgery. I'm not sure which specific surgery as of yet. I hope to finally find out Monday March 2nd when I see my neuro. I have a nerve root being pressed on hard by the disc at C-5 to C-6 plus bone spurs.

I had an EMG this past week. I'd originally had an EMG in June of 2008. My DO said the results were much worse this time. I noticed as the test progressed he became much more concerned.

He said at this juncture it appears I will never get better. The most I can hope for is the surgery will prevent my condition from getting worse. He believes I have permanent nerve damage.

I do have constant pain but manageable with the meds. I do hope dosages are increased after surgery. Currently I take 5/500mg Hydrocodone 1x a day, 100mg Lyrica 4x a day,15mg morphine 2x a day.

Pretty much it looks like I'll be going for SSDI. My Claim Manager of my LTD says they initiate the application process for me.

Anyway, didn't want this to drift to much from the topic of this forum. My pain is manageable but hopefully will be more so post surgery. Its hard to engage in sustained typing as my hands begin to tremor.

Ken GreyEagle

• I wish you luck with your appointment coming up. Sorry you need to cut your medication down before surgery. I would ask the Neurosurgeon about post surgery medications.

Take care of you
  • But yeah, it is best to do everything in your power to cut back before surgery. I wonder at your med level will that really be manageable for you and will you get low enough on the dosage to really help? I was on much less than you are at my partial shoulder replacement surgery and they had trouble managing my pain. So, I would be doing some heavy talking to somebody in anesthetics about how this will be done and how far you need to go!
    I can say I had a very miserable stay in the hospital after my replacement. It was supposed to be same day, ended up being two days and when I left I had them give me my IV dilaudid and oral percocets before they pulled my IV and sent me home. Not a good time at all.
    I so hope you can get better pain management for this than I had! I was so out of it I could not really express myself and my wife did not understand either.
  • BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    I went thru hell when I had my fusion Surgery. I was taking Roxicodone for months before my surgery. No one told me I needed to cut down before the surgery. Post surgery they couldn't touch my pain. I had the surgery at 7:00am. By noon I was in total agony. Pleeding with the nurse to call my surgeon. She got no response from him. He went out of town. By 4:00 Still no relief. They had me on the morphine pump and I was pressing the button every 15 min with no relief at all. The nurse ignored me. By this point I didn't know what to do. I looked in the phone book called the hospital and demanded to speek with the hospital administrator. She immedaitly came and tried to calmed me down. I was off the charts in pain. They changed the morphine to a demerol pump. By this time it was 8:00. Finally some relief. This was your worst nightmare.
    Good luck with the surgery!
  • after my fusion last month. I've been on narcotics for 9 years and taking 90mg morphine and 20mg oxycodone per day for the past year...wouldn't you know it that my NS chose morphine to put in the pump...I might as well had water coming through...bumped it up and still nothing to write home about...lust a brutal recovery room and first night. The morning after the previous afternoon fusion they were pulling my pump and giving me 10mg oxycodone every 4 hours!...screw that. I did not really bitch because I just wanted to go home...did not want to be the "problem patient who couldn't get his pain under control"...so, I just had my wife smuggle my medicine from home in for me and I did okay. But I'll tell you, I'll open my mouth more next time
  • I was told by my PM doc to come down before surgery. My surgeon said it was unnecessary and that I would have a consult with the Pain Mgmt staff in the hospital prior to the surgery (litterly 30 minutes prior to me going back to the OR).

I was told that not to worry they will take care of me. I was on 75 patch. Nothing for breakthrough. Upon waking up I was in pain and they kept giving me stuff until my pain got down to a managable 6. I was pretty much that way the entire stay. I was fused at L4 L5. Was able to get up and walk 4X the day of surgery. The second day was more painful. Now when I woke up they put a patch on as well as the PCA. I walked again 4x although in more pain. The PCA had morphine in it (I didn't know that until the third day). My doc saw me on the third day and I asked if I would be released and he said not while you are still hooked on that (the PCA). I said "well take it off, I want out of here."

They switched me to Norco 10/325 and bam my pain was managed so much better and that was when I realized that it was morphine because morphine doesn't do anything for me. Anyway, what I am trying to say is...you should find out if the hospital has a PM group. If so, arrange for a deal with your current PM to see if they will work together during this special time to ensure your needs are met. There is no need for you to experience increased pain prior to surgery. You will have enough stress without that to deal with on top of it. Good luck!!!

I tried to add paragraphs to make it easier to read :)
  • Thanks everyone! I'll will check out the PM situation at the hospital. I did find out my surgery will be April 8th. I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 Pm. They are going to do a 4 level laminectomy (c3 thru c7).

I'll keep everyone updated. I see my surgeon on March 24th for a pre op appointment. He said he'd answer my questions about the surgery then. I hope they keep me in hospital a few days.

I see my DO March 10th (this next week). I'll ask him questions too about this surgery. I certainly don't want huge pain management issues coming out of surgery! Sorry to hear some of you had a horrible time!

Thanks again!