Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Walking Epidurals

dorset boyddorset boy Posts: 148
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Chronic Pain
Another member in the UK has mentioned that she is going to have a walking epidural & I haven't heard of them - can any one shed any light on this & if so what conditions could it help?

Also any info on how a permanent nerve block works/is done would also be appreciated as if my next set of facet joint injections & ganglian nerve blocks work pain clinic dr is suggesting making them permanent.

As well as the lower back pain i have constant sciatica down both legs to my feet & have recently developed "dead patches" on the back of my right thigh - which because I can't get an appointment to see anyone, haven't yet been investigated

(Sorry I should put all of my issues into my signature bar)

• hell is a walking epidural?? when i have had epidurals i have been sedated to the verge of death before they get near me with a needle! never mind walking!!
  • But I wish I had been sedated to the verge of death last time I had a C-spine ESI. It was my second and last one!
    They did not get it numbed up well and the PM refused to stop, he just said, "don't move" and kept going! I knew he had screwed it up when he did it as the sensations ran all the way to the tip of my left fingers! Uh, the problems I have are all on the RIGHT side! The next day I was in the er in so much pain I could no longer deal with it. That's the last injection that place will give me!!!
    I too am interested in the definition of "walking epidural" Perhaps this thread should move to the injections section???
  • Some one - I think it was plumpplum has just said it is similar to an ordinary epidural but done under xray & they are trying to get the needle as close to the nerve root as possible. I now realise that I have had this done on several occassions but just never heard it called this!. I have to admit that I almost never let them sedate me for any procedure. The last set of tests I had done before my big operation was the one (i never remember the name) where they send dye in to several discs & then inflate the various discs to see which ones are leaking - oh yes is it a discography?? thats the one when they are meant to sedate you but you are just about withit enought to scream when they hit the right place. When I had this done I wouln't let them sedate me which was against their advice - aparently word spread around theatre & before I knew it with my permission there were an additional 7 staff watching as they hadn't seen anyone do it "awake" - i swore at them all & the names I called my surgeon shouldn't be repeated - he laughed it all off & I cried like a baby. by now you are probably asking yourself WHY DO THIS!??! the answer is simple - the longer it takes including coming around from sedation - the longer it is before i can get out & have a smoke! - sad but true!! next time its nicotine patches for me !!! not doing something stupid like that again!! ROFLOL
  • I truly wonder why they chose to call it that! I had both my ESI shots done under scope so they knew where the needle was. Did not stop them from hurting me! The worst procedure I have had to date was a shoulder MRI with dye. They insert the needle into the joint space using the scope to place it. I about came off the table on that one! Yes, I too screamed!
    I expect that is part of the reason I am so wound up about the SCS trial I have coming up!
    I quit smoking 21 years ago! They can knock me out. It is one of the few times my shoulder will stop aching! I will take all of those I can get! Even if I'm asleep! I have learned as so many others seem to around here. Let them numb it and then stay awake for as long as you can! No need to sleep when it does not hurt!
  • Whats a SCS trial & what will you gt out of it??
    Sometimes a smoke is all that will calm me down when the back's bad, also I hate hospitals - I spent 3 months in hospital around 10 years ago when I fractured a vertibrae to the top of my spine after a water sports accident - Even after my 2 level fusion & a dynamic stabalisation at a third level which was a 9 & 3/4 hr op I was at home 45 hrs after leaving the recovery room !!!!!! dorset boy
  • I've seen it called ANS over on this section. We have been going over them quite a bit in the treatment section. Spinal Cord Stimulator. It blocks or it is supposed to block the pain signals with a more pleasant sensation. It doesn't work for everybody. Trial version can be done under local, but the permanent version is implanted.
  • OK i've heard of these.
    I'm trying to get a referal for a similar type device to assist with my walking. When I had my last op they cut some of the nerves in my left foot & left me with foot drop & the stimuators on trial here help the muscles finish the contraction that I can start but can't finish. Again trial version is temp & the permanant version is implanted. Good luck with it - I really hope it helps & works for you! dorset boy
  • I have not heard of the help for drop foot. That sounds Awesome! Hope it works for you too!
  • always ask for it .and when you are on the table ..and you dont feel like you are sedate enough ....ask for some more ..i do!
  • in this case the stimulator is being designed to do the reverse of what you want it to do for you, you want it to stop the pain messages getting through, but in this case it is used as a bridge to convey the message across the damaged section of nerves.
    At presentI were a leg brace made out of carbon fibre which starts below the knee goes down the front of the leg & then over the inside of the ankle on my leg leg & finishes in a solid foot plate, when not using this I have to revert to a walking stick or a crutch as the drop foot causes me to catch my toes (as I can't feel them properly) & I trip or I turn over on my ankle. In the trials from what I have read initial it is not inserted, just attached to the leg & the wires trail but if this works they then carry out an op & place it just below the knee & the wires are put under the skin. Main issue is there is only one place in the UK doing them & trying to get a referal is a nightmare. I can go 6-8 months at a time without any contact form pain clinic or support, very much out on a limb!!! when I had my 3 level fusion done 2 years ago it was after waiting for 18 months after it had been assessed as being required quite urgently!
This discussion has been closed.