Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First appointment with the Nero; Surgery it is.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hey all..sorry it's been awhile. So I had my appointment with the nero on the 16th. The MRI image was pretty disturbing. Check out my profile pic. Alot of pressure on my spinal cord. It looks as if surgery is the only option if I dont want to suffer permanent nerve damage due to a large herniated C6-C7 disk. I don't have a date yet because I have to wait for authorization from my insurance company. The pain hasnt really worsened just become kind of annoying. The weakness in my left arm bothers me more than anything. I have been assured that I have not experienced permanent nerve damage at this point which is relief. I am anxious for the surgery but a little nervous at the same time. I think more than being worried about the surgery I am worried about the recovery. My husband is at a school for the military and wont be here for the surgery or the recovery. I will have my family to help but my Son is one and half and I hate that he wont be able to understand why Mommy cant pick him up and play with him for awhile. I now in the long run it will be for the best because it wont hurt to pick him up anymore.

I am wondering if any of you that have had similar surgeries can tell me how long you couldnt work, how long you couldnt drive, weight limitations and how the limitations were for ect.

Thanks for listening!

• Good luck with the surgery. I'm having surgery on the 3rd of March on my C5-C6. I've never had spine surgery before, so I'm unsure what to expect. I'm just hoping it will rid the horrid pain I have every minute of the day. My husband is staying home for the first week to take care of me and the kids. My mother will come here after that.
  • Well i had a three level fusion,but i think that the restrictions are pretty much the same in the case of a fusion at the beginning. For the first two months i was restricted to ten pds.weight limit.not to lift anymore then a jug or bag of milk.no bending forward,LOTS of walking,no laundry,no vacuuming,wasn't allowed to pull or push anything.No grocery shopping.Pretty much anything you could think of.My pain wasn't too bad after my surgery,a bit of a sore throat,i felt more weakness in my throat muscles then anything that made it hard for me to talk.Alot of people have had to sleep sitting in a recliner but i felt much better sleeping in my bed.Its all up to where your more comfortable.Get a reacher incase you drop things so you can pick them up.I bought some throat spray but i didn't need to use it.I had soft meals the first few days then gradually started eating more solid foods.
    I don't drive so i can't help you with that one,i'm still not working yet but a lot of people do go back after a few weeks to a few months it varies depending on your job and what your surgeon says.Just remember to take it as easy as you can the first few weeks and rest even if you feel really good because there has been so many people that say there feeling great and then they go out and do a bunch of things that they shouldn't have and the next day they come on and say how much they hurt.Take your time to rest up.
    If you's have any more questions you can PM me and i try my best to answer them.
  • Thanks Tammy for the info! I had come to expect the weight limitations but hadnt really thought of the bending, pulling and pushing restrictions. My OCD cleaning tendencies will be hard fight off..lol..but I will definately take your advice and take it easy in the beginning. I have heard walking is highly encouraged and I fully intend to do as much walking as possible. At least that is something me and my Son can still do together.

Looking at your profile I cant imagine the pain you must be in. Mine drives me crazy and it only affects the C6/C7. Is yours all your due to the car accident? Will you be having surgery for the T, L and S problems as well.
  • Are you having a fusion?

Have you thought about looking into Vax-D first?
  • I am one week postop ACDF C4-C7 and recovering well. I did not experience a lot of throat discomfort, so I was eating full diet by the next day. It is wise to have soft foods on hand should you have difficulty swallowing. Puddings, jello and so forth. Popsicles might be good for the soreness as well. (Think post tonsillectomy)
    The neck incision will be swollen and covered with a bandage or steri-strips. You need to protect it and not get it wet.
    Having a glass to use to rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth is handy, you are not supposed to bend from the waist and it is hard to focus downward at the sink!
    Lifting restrictions of no more than 5lbs. No twisting.
    I did not need a cervical collar as the titanium plate and screws are felt to provide enough strength to my neck without encasing it. This allows movement of your neck and decreases risk of muscle tone loss in that area.
    Walking and changing position frequently will help a lot to prevent the potential of blood clots and to rest from holding your head up.
    Ask for muscle relaxants to use postop in addition to pain meds. I found that the shoulder discomfort from the positioning on the OR table was the most difficult to handle.
    Good luck on your surgery!
  • I had e 3 level ACDF 6 weeks ago. Like kittyluv I too had a titanium plate and screws but still had to wear a collar. I think that depends on the Dr. I am still in the collar till I see the Dr next week. But I have gone back to work (from home) and was working part time from home after about 2 weeks. But if you are in a collar there is no driving cause you cannot turn your head. Any more questions I will be glad to help.
  • The MRI picture looks very worrisome and I hope the authorization is pushed through quickly. My problems are in the lumbar spine so I don't really have useful information for you. But it's still back surgery and you will require lots of help post op. Are you on any meds right now? I hope your surgery is a success and that you have a speedy recovery.

VLK1982, can you give it a rest now? It's obvious you're a rep and no one is interested as far as I know. Stop posing!