Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sports, etc?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a one level Cervical Fusion with hardware on Dec. 9th 2008 I am just curious as to how soon others were able to resume recreation activities? I am in Physical Therapy and I still get sore by the end of the day.

However, I think the lack of doing the things that I love is really affecting my mind! My therapist and Dr. both say that it is up to me when I return but I am scared to try as I am afraid of messing up my hardware? Any input would be great.

I am not working as I was laid off from my employer the day that I returned from surgery so my stress level is very high. I think getting back to the gym and sports might help.

• I am not real familiar with neck issues as I am a lumbar patient. I had surgery seven days before you and have been in PT since week three. Although I feel better and stronger from the PT I personally am no where near picking up where I left off in my recreational activities. I would say if you still have any doubt or gut feeling that your not ready to do some of them then I would wait till you feel more "sturdy" in your hardware. It seems a bit early to me to ressume many sports at this early stage in recovery. Maybe talking with your physical therapists about what activities you are able to do at the gym will help alleviate stress, or swimming could be an option if you have access to an indoor pool since its winter time.
    Sorry to hear about your job situation and I hope you find things you can do to help occupy your time in a way that doesnt disturb the surgery this early on. Finding a new "normal" right now is hard to do. Im sure more cervical patients will have some advice for you and I wish you all the best in your recovery. Just remember as all say, "dont over do".
  • i had a level 2 acdf on nov 13. i didnt try to work out till after my 6 week check up. after that i took it slow.doing only 10-15 lb rep exercises. for 4 weeks i used only the total gym and started at the lowest level and worked my way up. after that i started using dumbbells at 10-15 lbs.every day since surgery ive taken long walks or using my eliptical trainer. this last weekend i was able to referee an indoor soccer tournament. each day was 9 hrs long and only getting 2 min rests between games. my legs ache a little but expected after being on my feet that long. so it is possible to get back into the groove of things as long as you stay positive. some of the aches are still there after the surgery but i deal with them cause they dont bother me as much as before surgery. so work your way up to getting healthy and take it easy. i also go back to work march 2nd as a mailman walking all day.
  • Thank you both for your replies. I have been walking and doing my elliptical since the sugery but not much else.

Hopefully I can figure out my health insurance so that I can continue going to PT as that seems to help too.

Take care and God bless!