Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi new here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in New Member Introductions
Just found this site, praise GOD! I have been battling severe pain every since an auto accident two years ago. The doctors found cervical stenosis at C4-C5, C5-C6, C6-C7 and severe stenosis at L4-L5. The accident was a rear-ender and I noticed rt back, shoulder, and arm pain imediately. No neck pain. Then I noticed mobility in my right arm was diminished. Anyway it took going to another state and new doctors to finally find the problem and now they say I have a severe problem with NO cure! I am trying to find anyone else that might have cervical stenosis who might be loosing use of their arms, memory, along with bowl and bladder problems.

I was extremely active (rode my horse every day) before the accident and had absolutely no pain or any problems of any kind. Now I am walking and barely able to take care of myself.

Thanks for reading my rant!

Have a great day and God Bless!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. Having bathroom problems definitely needs attention. =D> what options have they offered you as far as your pain goes? many of us here are on "maintenance" and have to use lots of different measures to help our pain. :D this includes everything from meds to Yoga!! good luck as you seek pain relief! please be sure and have your bladder problems addressed! :D Jenny :)
  • :H I wouldn't give up just yet. From the limited knowledge that I have stenosis is of two types congenital (You were born with it) or degenerative. Having a car wreck certainly didn't help with you if you already had these conditions to begin with. I know because I was ran over by a semi. Even if it is congenital or degenerative the idea there is nothing that can be done for it just can't be true. Even thouh I'm no doctor I know there are treatments for stenosis. Physical Therapy, ESI injections and even up to including surgery. Please don't give up hope. We are all here to support you and offer any answers that we can.
    Oh and I feel for you and riding. I miss my horse more than anything. I haven't been able to ride since my surgery. I hope the doctors can get you back in the saddle soon. I know how therapeutic riding can be.
  • Im just curious, what tests have you had done by the doctors? Don't give up, and we are all here to help support you and give experience related advice. Glad you found us and welcome to the community.
  • I am new too but I am already learning a lot. Stay postive and never give up!!
  • I have questions about my surgery. I had L4-s1 Fused Jan 8 2009. Now actually right after surgery my big toe was numb i mentioned it to my nurses. My pain has increased my big toe and the two next our numb cant rub against the sheets because i get a burning sensation thru out my foot and calf.
    MRI was done and the report found postlaminectomy fluid collection is present with surrounding soft tissue enhancement. Enhancing tissue extends into the epidural space with apparent perineiral encasement at the L5-S1 level. I see my neusurgeon on wed but does any one if this fluid could be causing my pain.

Thanks for your time
  • Hi Jenny and thanks for your support!

I found out the hard way about the bladder. After the accident I did not know there was a problem and couldn't feel urgency or anything for that matter so I never went. Two weeks later I finally felt horrible pain and went to the ER and found I had a severe bladder and kidney infection. The dr said that if I had waited one more day my kidney would have shut down.

I said something happened in the wreck and I could not feel any urgency, but he laughed and dismissed it saying that my infection was due to outside bacteria and not from not eliminating! The nurse was very agitated after he walked away and told me that he was LYING!

Anyway I went from dr to dr trying to find why I could not feel anything and was told I was imagining things. I frequently had to go to the ER and get catherized. Finally my urologist had a Cysto CMG done and finally they believed me!! Now I have to do a self cath every 4 hrs.

The bowels is next to figure out as there is no feeling there. Sometimes I feeling a burning and then it is way too late! The thrills and joys of nerve damage!

Trying to explain any of this is impossible to family and friends, and next to impossible to medical professionals that should know better!

I have tried physical therapy, chiropractor, pain clinic and now take several types of meds that others on here take.

It is just hard when there is no one to talk to about how hard it is to keep going! So thanks so much!

• Sorry to hear about your accident! That had to be very frightening. Was your accident just last year?

I was in the back seat of a crew cab PU and was rear ended by a motorist going a high rate of speed. I probably would not have been hurt but I was in the middle of turning around to see who who was about to hit us when we were hit, then the seat belt jerked me back so my neck got a double whammy.

I know my stenosis is not genetic, and if I had it before there sure were no signs of it. I always rode through really rough trails ducking and bending forwards and back to avoid branches. OH, those were the days and such a short time ago!

I have had most of the tests that others on here have had, and am down to just managing the pain with lots of drugs! I held off for a long time and just took Ibuprophen...now it's like gime all ya got!

Is that a picture of your horse? Do you still have it? I still have mine, raised her from a foal. I like to just go out and rest my head in her mane. Don't know how long I will be able to keep her.

Life is full of ups and downs, seems like more downs! But there is always something better around the corner! Praise God!

• Thanks for the support! We have a lot of the same problems. I have been told I have degenerative disc disease along with artheritis.

In the lumbar area I have serious stenosis, and anterior subuxation at the L4-L5 level and disc herniaion w/small annular tear at L5-S1. In the cervical area I have bulging disc osteophyte and stenosis at the C4-C5, C5-C6, C6-C7 interspaces, and anterior subluxation of T1-T2, T2-T3.

I have had X-Rays, MRI, Cysto EMG, and the thingy where they do a cat scan of your neck after shooting dye in your spinal cord, and probably more I can't think of. I have been wearing a soft cervical colar, then got a stiff one and now am waiting for a cervical brace to come in. My doctor noticed that I have foot drop so I am waiting for a foot drop brace too.

Do you have trouble sitting since your fusion? How does that affect your life?

I have so many questions now that I have found this group! I just have to do lots of reading!

Take care and God Bless!

• I have done endless internet searches about all this but I never stop learning new things.I have been through a lot and never take a doctors word for anything, because God is the only one who KNOWS ALL! Ha!

It's just getting harder and harder to overcome!

Take care and God Bless!

• Gee, I don't know what could be causing your pain but I would say anything is possible.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can help you with this.

At any rate, take care and may God Bless!