Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI results and current pain...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had an MRI done a couple of weeks ago of my neck. Had and epidural cortisone shot last week and am currently still in an immense amount pain, muscle spasm all up in my shoulders neck and chest. I get tingling in my arms and face and now my arms feel heavy and i can't life past my chest.

This is from my MRI report:

Diffuse degenerative changes are present, most prominent at C4-5 and C5-6. At c5-6 there is minimal central and moderate foraminlal stenosos secondary to disc bulging/osteophytic spurring

C4-5 demonstrates borderline central spinal stenosis with minimal to moderate foraminal narrowing.

C6-7 demonstrates 4mm broad-based bulging of the disc in the midline, compressing the ventral aspect of the spinal cord and causing moderate central spinal stenosis. Minimal left foraminal narrowing is present at this level.

I went to the ER Friday night and they gave me Soma & Vicodin that help dull the pain but as soon a s it wears off I'm in even more pain than before. Would these results cause all the pain i've been in.

• Based on the MRI report, your pain is certainly related to the degenerative changes, compression of the nerves and stenosis. Taking Vicodin and Soma may help alleviate the pain, but it will not go away unless you address the underlying cause --- take the pressure off the nerves and realign your spine to provide a more patent foraminal opening for the nerves.
    Do you have an appt with a neurosurgeon? If not, I would recommend obtaining a consult to determine what your options are at this time.
    From my experience, the sooner the pressure is removed from the nerves the greater chance of recovery without permanent damage.
    I am 4 days postop anterior cervical discectomy and fusion C4-C7 and doing remarkably well. My neck, shoulder and arm pain (including the numbness and tingling) was mostly gone within 2 hrs of the surgery. I am experiencing some shoulder pain (like muscle pain) primarily from the positioning on the OR table, but it is well relieved by Norco and Robaxin (muscle relaxant).
    I did not experience any sore throat or major hoarseness postop and I am able to eat a regular diet without problems.
    I am not suggesting that you will need surgery at this time, but it might help to know that surgery can bring great relief with minimal complications.
    Best wishes!

The information provided by members of Spine-Health should never be considered as formal medical advice. It is recommendations based on member's personal experiences only. This can vary from person to person, so do not take comments as medical rules. Edited by moderator Paulgla
  • Thanks for your reply. Congratulations on a successful surgery.

I've only been to an orthopedic surgeon so far and he prescribed cervical epidural shots. I've had one and going in for a second one Friday. He told me that if a series of 3 didn't help my next step would be seeing a neurosurgeon. I think I will try to get an appointment this week with a neurosurgeon. The tingling and loss of feeling in my arms is concerning me a bit.

Hope you have a speedy recovery and remain pain free.