Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 year post ACDF-now numb legs and urinary urgency? Scared!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I had ACDF C6/7 just over a year ago, and although the pain in my arm (I was told I was lose the use of my arm without surgery)is better, I am having real problems from the waist down on my left side. This is the same side I had the arm problem on

I have med-severe pain from just to the left of my spine at the waist to my foot, and at times I just want to cut my leg off. My waist, bottom, back of leg and toes are numb (second and third toe especially) and I have urinary urgency - I don't feel the need to go until it is too late and have had some accidents. If I sit for too long, esp driving, then I find it very difficult to get up and move

I saw my NS last week, and the MRI showed nothing "urgent" - am seeing him again on Friday

I am really scared as I also lose the use of my leg sometimes - it's as if something just "goes" and I can't walk on it for a couple of seconds. The last time it happened I got the most awful pain down my groin

I note a couple of ladies have experienced this with "cervical cord impingement" and although the symptoms sound so similar my MRI shows no such thing

Has anyone else experienced anything like this???

Thank you

• What has your doctor said about you symptoms?

Was your MRI Cervical or Lumbar?

• If you only had a c-spine mri, I think it would be wise to have a lumbar one. I have some of these same issues that you have described, but they come from a spinal cord injury in my c-spine. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hi Fi,
    I had an ACDF this July and that has been great for me...best thing I have had done...but like you I have problems now from the waist down but on my right side...

I have had problems before but it is getting more acute...My N/S had me get another MRI of the lumbar region and it seems that the same issue I had in my neck is in my lumbar spine so I am going to have the same type of surgery there...from what he had said the sooner you get in the better for this sort of thing so there isn't permanent damage...

So if they haven't yet looked at your lumbar spine that may be the place to look...

Good luck...

• was for the full spine so my NS obviously thought there may be something elsewhere

It is really getting me down as I feel like someone twice my age and everything is such a "chore".

I only spoke with my NS briefly on the phone after the scan so he could let me know that it was nothing "urgent" and that he would see me this Friday - I know thought that when I had my neck injury he kept saying nothing was wrong as the herniation was not pressing anything - that was until I had the EMG which showed severe nerve damage. Then he sat up and took notice

Thing is, the pain I feel the most is in the back of my hip, or seems to be, and then down the outside of the hip and right down my leg

I know any type of fusion puts more stress on the rest of the spine so makes you wonder - get rid of one issue and create another

Will let you know what the results are on friday

• I will be interested to hear what you find out. I had acdf c-5/6 on 08/08/08. I have only been getting worse since. Now I have the same problem with my right leg. It starts on my butt & goes down the back side of my leg. Not numb but a weird feeling. :?? I feel like my leg is very heavy & foreign & I have to drag it. When I have to go potty I have to go now! That is not all the time though. The pain & weird feeling in my leg is.
    I will watch for your post to see what you find out.
    Take care >:D<
  • I also had neck problems for over 4 years. I started getting leg/back symptoms figuring it was due to the cervical spine issues. Once the surgeon had the lumbar MRI done, he found out it was due to L4 & L5 herniation, stenosis, and osteoarthritis. I hope you let us know what your Dr. says. (With my issues, they are trying conservative treatments first. I had my first ESI a month ago. I don't have as much urinary urgency as you, though. Other symptoms are VERY similar! Good luck, keep us posted.
  • P.S. My surgeon doesn't tell me much of anything over the phone. Hopefully he takes your situation seriously!!
  • When you see your surgeon be sure to ask him to read you the mri report or at least look at it yourself or get a copy.I also had urinary frequency and it really doesn't sound right that there isn't anything showing up.Unfortunately when i was trying to find out what was wrong with me i did have a few doctors who told me that nothing was wrong after looking at my mri report,when in fact i had a lot of problems that showed up.Hopefully that hasn't happened to you.Sounds like you have some nerve compression that your not being told about.Good luck at your apt.