Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 days post op fusion L-4-5-S1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I seem to be doing really well. Obviously, it hurts but nothing more that i expected. However, last night I got a lot of pain in my right uppper calf. My wife looked at it and said it was significantly larger than the other calf? ....any ideas?

I left a message for my surgeon but am anxious to know if anyone has experienced the same thing???

• Does your calf show any redness besides of being swollen and painful? That could be the sign of a blood cloth, that could be serious. I don't want to alarm you, but I would call the surgeon's office immediately, and try to talk to a live person. Is there an advise nurse at your medical office? or even you PCP could help. Please try to get an answer asap.

Best wishes,

• I agree with Kin. One of the more serious and potential life-threatening complications of spine surgery is a blood clot in the leg. That is why most doctors insist on compression stockings/manipulation during surgery and for a few days postop until you are up and walking without problem.
    Anytime you spend long periods in a supine or seated position, the blood flow slows and a clot can form. Should a part of the clot break off, it can travel to the lungs through the bloodstream and cause a pulmonary embolus.
    Symptoms include swelling of the calf, warmth and redness to the area and pain with pointing your toes downward. It is easily diagnosed with physical exam and a doppler test. I would contact your doctor and get seen as soon as possible.
    After having such an extensive surgery, you do not want to risk everything from a blood clot.
    Keep us posted on the results!