Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hopeless-in-mnhhopeless-in-mn Posts: 206
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Health Insurance Issues
as some of you know, i had my ssi disability hearing today....I think it went well...basically they said there are no jobs that some one with my limitations can do in the us if i had to call in due to pain twice a month...given that my levels are what they are most of the time, i think that pretty much seels the deal, but who knows...also anly like 1000-500 other jobs avail otherwise...but still...not sure if that even correct,but hey...attorny seems to think that all went well, and i will hope for a quick answer from them.

I was honest in describing my day, that i can stand for only about an hour, i dont drive, dont go out with friends, to school stuff with kids, shopping other than for needed stuff, and only with help...very light chores...dishes take 2.5 hours with multiple breaks due to pain. vacuuming is forbidden, as is changing the sheets, no hobbies due to limited concentration, do try to read tho....when i hurt really bad, i lay bery still and just try not to move!...meds help, but not fix....i try to balance pain vs alert for kids...

any way...does any one know how long it will take for me to get an answer now?

and then if positive answer, how long for payments to begin?

thanks for all the support and well wishes!

• sounds awfully good to me
    I hope you hear back really soon
    I know the suspense/agony of not knowing is miserable
    good luck, I'll send good thoughts for you! susie
  • did it take for you to get a hearing? I was just wondering as I am in the appeal process waiting for an answer and the next step would be a hearing.
    I wish you all kinds of luck, but it sounds like it went well.
  • was supposed to be like three years, but had it expidited by atty. due to financial hardship...got it within a couple of months from that request.
  • Was yours a reconsideration hearing or a total appeal? I was denied in Dec and got an attorney. He just called saying we will have a hearing coming up. I wish you luck. your day sounds very similar to mine.
  • I found out from my lawyer right away. He stayed behind in the courtroom after I was lead out. 10 minutes later he came out and told me I won. 2 weeks later I received a letter of Favorable Decision.

I had to do more paperwork at the attorney's office to determine if I qualified financially for SSI. SSI would give you more money and you would be enrolled in Medicaid if your income is low enough. I didn't qualify for that, but I did for SSDI. On SSDI you get less money than SSI but you get to enroll in Medicare.

I was able to get an advancement on my back payment money because we fell behind in our mortgage and had documentation to prove so. All you do is go down to the local Social Security office and ask for an advance. You do need to have the letter of favorable decision to this. After a couple of weeks later I got the remainder of the lump sum payment.

Before this happens, I recommend that you do the option of direct depositing your money instead of waiting for a check every month. It's safer and you don't have to worry about cashing it. This way you can access it with a bank card or write checks.
  • That's GREAT news! Your notice of favorable decision shuold not take more than 30 days. If it does, then you need to cnotact your lawyer.

Social Security cannot process your payments until after they receive that notice.

Also, 9 times out of 10, an attorney will know if you've had a favorable hearing before you leave the hearing. But still, you need that Favorable Decision from the judge.

Also, if you have children under 18 (19 if they are still in school) are eligible to receive payments as well - even back pay! You need to either have your attorney file a "Dependent CLaim" or contact SSA with your children's full names, SSN and dates of birth.

Again, congratulations Dawn. What a journey, huh?

• they have the kids' info from the start as i filed for them at the begining as well....i was not as doped up then as i am now...LOL!...will however call the attorny to make sure that the children are covered as well just to be sure! thanks again, and yes, this has been an insane journey!
  • I am right behind you. I should have my hearing with ALJ in about 1 year from now. I do know that if you face foreclosure or your utilities are turned off that you can get it expedited.
  • Dawn,

Sounds like good news! I would call your lawyer and ask what the decision is and if your children were included.

I'm sure all is fine. Just a very slow process. I am still at the first decision stage.

Take care of you