Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery Date

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Saw the Neuro today,Micro'D on L-5 scheduled for 4-8-09. DR. Says that I have a 50/50 chance of back pain relief and possible relief of weakness in left leg. He CANNOT guarantee ANY relief however.GUess I have to take the chance. Opinions?

• You don't know how happy I am that you are finally having a chance to get this thing fixed. I know it's a 50/50 deal, but I know the odds will be in your favor.

I had this surgery in 2007. They will be optimistic and tell you the recovery time is 12 weeks and you'll wake up from surgery with no leg pain and can go home the next day. It doesn't happen for everybody. I woke up with screaming nerve pain and left the hospital in 3 days. They wanted me to go to rehab ward but I said no. The nerve can take a long time to heal because it has been compressed for a long time and it is irritated and swollen. My surgeon kept telling me to be patient and hold on and give it time. I was sent in for a post op MRI and 2 spinal injections. What happened was that I reherniated the L4-5 and developed retrolisthesis at that level, and the L5-S1 disc was pressing the nerve against bone.

This was a complication I experienced and that is why it didn't go well for me. But I do have the hope that the Micro-D will improve or eliminate the pain and you're able to start a new life again. Please keep us posted on how you do, and we'll be thinking of you while you're in the hospital and while recovering. Take care
  • Meydey..
    Thanks for that.I feel somewhat confident that I will be better. Any progress will be a plus for me considering how I am now. Thanks for the support

• Is this a new neurosurgeon doing your surgery? How has he been treating you, I hope he's compassionate and understanding. Are you doing okay so far with the morphine?
  • Paul,

Guesstimation is not an exact science. The success of your surgery depends on lots of things, like your exact diagnosis, previous surgeries, your physical condition, your motivation, the surgeon's skill, etc. I think most docs are giving a conservation estimation. My OS told me I can expect about 85% improvement, and I am glad to say that compared to what I experienced before surgery, I am 100% better.

Wishin you the best!

• Yes, This is the new Neuro. He seems nice enough,however apparently he has made an agreement with my PCP to allow him to handle the pain med situation. Thats fine w/m but i need to have that 60mg 2x's daily lowered. I cant handle it.....too strong, aLL i WANT TO DO is sleep.
  • Kinpain
    Thanks..I appreciate that. Previously I had a 3 level ACDF c3-6,skline plate, 8 screws. Severe stenosis,cord decompression,partial corpectomey.
    Oddly though,the old Neuro told me that I needed surgery (micro'd) immediately or I would end up w/a drop foot. According to this guy, thats incorrect. He states that drop foot only coould happen due to highler level disc issues and will not because of a L-5 . Who do you believe? I don't know.