Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Great Recovery 2 weeks Post Op Multi level ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I know many say they do not see so much of the good news after surgery so I wanted to let everyone know that my surgery so far is a success, more so after the fusion, Cross my fingers and will see after a few months. BUT.. I woke up from surgery and my left arm was numb, but the numbness went away before I left the hospital. The disc were the bottom 3 so I have to wear a brace from my neck to my upper Ab. And the incision went from the top of my neck all the way down along the side of my esophagus down to the top of my collar bone that has the dip.
Some days I have very little pain, and the days I do have pain, it is manageable, and the pain is surgery pain, I do not have any symptoms I had before surgery. I am so relieved and excited for a great recovery.
Thanks everyone who has helped me with advice and support!. Will update when I can.

• Congratulations on your successful surgery! I am now six days postop ACDF C4-C7 and have had similar results. My neck, shoulder and arm pain were practically gone within 2hrs of the surgery. Having a skilled neurosurgeon makes a tremendous difference. I am fortunate that my inicision is only 3in long and is along a "natural fold" (ie wrinkle) in my neck and will probably be hardly noticeable in time.
    I do not need to wear any type of collar either, so that enhances my recovery as well.
    I hope people preparing for this surgery see that good outcomes are possible and to try and focus on the positive results.
    Best wishes as you continue your recovery!
  • I guess we are the luckier ones. I too had a very good experience with my surgery this far. My symptoms were completely gone after surgery. Had lost about 50% of strength
    in my right arm and severe burning in shoulder and down arm.
    My surgery was done by my ortho and my neuro doctor.

The team of doctors came into my room and ortho shook my hand and knew immed. that It had helped.

I was so nervous about this surgery...but would do it over again if pain pain came.

c5,6 shelf bone, plate and 2 screws, 1 1/2" incision

No collar. Stopped pain meds yesterday...only taking tylenol
    Getting around great!

Best wishes to all who are going through this or have!
  • i am also thankful i had the surgery. i sit here as i write this having pretty bad muscle spasms because i had my P.T. eval mon and 1st session today. but i am HOPEFUL because i have no more numbness or any neuro symptoms. i believe rebuilding my strength and decreasing the spasms will just take time but i'm on my way!!! no pain---no gain, right. :)
    best of luck to u.
  • Please, please, PLEASE stick around this forum after your recovery so that people who are contemplating surgery aren't just reaqding the stories of us "old timers" who haven't had such successful outcomes. It's important for others to know that recoveries like yours are the NORM and that people like me are the exception!

Mystik, we had the same levels done but very different incisions. I have a long neck and they were able to get to all of it by a horizontal incision. My revision was done through the same incision as well. I think yours will heal fine, most turn into a fine line withing a year and are barely noticable.

Keep up the amazing healing all of you!

• I'm so happy for you all. :D ACDF really isn't as bad as some of us make it sound. I hope for all of you that this is the end of your painful journies! Just remember just because you feel so good don't go out and over do it! Everyone of us have done that and we end up back in our recliners for days. So take it easy and let your bodies rest more than you think you need to. You've just had surgery after all.
  • Yeah I was lucky to have the forum for a good amount of time before surgery to read all those who had the honeymoon period as they called it and over did it, so I am aware and taking caution!!
    Personally I am not even worried about a scar, I am one of those people that got tired of worrying about what other people think, I call them my war wounds, I am the same way about gray hair.. they are trophy's!! LOL
    I was suppose to get my stitches out tomorrow (Friday the 27th, but the surgeon was unable to keep the apt. and they moved it to the 4th of March. I wish I could just take them out myself sheesh! The way they stitched it you cant see it, only the strings hanging out both ends, the skin healed almost immediately, within days.
    Thanks everyone for the posts!! *HUGS* CindySue
  • After my surger my right pinky/ring finger and that half of my hand was completely numb, but went away after two days.

Was the way they positioned me on the table hurt the nerve in my arm.
  • Heck I do not even have any memories going in, I was being prepped, next thing you know they shot me something in my IV and poof gone! Don't remember anything until after my family came in to see me, I barely remember going into bronchial spasms cause I freaked out from my throat being messed up.