Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

any experience

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
your experience and feedback - had this posted in Scoliosis for almost a week - but didn't get any feedback - so here I am back to the thoracic - sorry for the double post

i usually post in the thoracic area, but i have a question on scoliosis. I have a mild case in my thoracic. My question is this, my facets in the thoracic, would get 'popped' into place by a PT back in 07 and this would give some temporary relief. is this common with scoliosis of the thoracic? Also, if the curve is in the thoracic, can this 'pull' on your rib cage giving pain to your sternum?

any input would be appreciated.

• i used to get that before my t10 op, get an mri done, you may need a disc removing. although dr's are unlikey to operate unless you are progressivly getting worse.

good luck
  • thank you for your reply - i almost gave up hope that anyone would...

i have had the t spine mri - and nothing remarkable showed up on the test...but the feeling like something is stuck thru me has never left since 4/07 - it has become very frustration, with nothing appearing on the test. But it is very obvious the scoliosis - it looks like a "kink" no curve at all, just a distinct twist to the right.

What prompted the op for your t10?

Some time ago, i had an xray on my back and a deformity (anterior comprssion deformity) was noted at t9 - but years later nothing showed up on an mri - Do these heal up?

• I have no idea about things healing up, but would get another mri done of your whole spine.

i had my op following a fall, gp ignored the symptoms but i see a rheumatologist for fibromyalgia and i mentioned it to him and he suggested an mri to check for a slipped disc.

it was in fact in a critical state, the rheumatologist called to see me the same day he had the results in and reffered to me a neurosurgeon that evening, within 2 weeks i was operated on. i didn't have a choice unless i wanted to face paralysis.

the reason i suggest a whole spine mri, is that the rheumatologist has seen things get missed by only doing one section. for example, my symptoms were linked to lower back, so if that had been scanned only, they would have missed this critical prolapse in the t-spine.

your problems may be linked to another part of your back, and the pain manifesting elsewhere. yes it is rare, but is not impossible. the condition i had was a 1 in 1 million chance, and yet i had it, i was that one in a million! (daddy was right, one in a million you are kid! ;))

get it all checked out again, see a neurologist as well as orthopaedic, and avoid surgery as much as you can in your thorasic region, it is a big big op.

good luck.
  • regarding the thoracic surgery. Ironically, a very good friend of mine had t surgery to remove a tumor this past fall...so i have seen first hand the long, anguish of what this surgery intails. I hope that you are recovering fine.

I have an appt with my doc this coming Wed. - my husband asked me - what do i hope to get out of this appt? I hope i am able to impress upon him that what is going on with my neck and back is really beginning to challenge my quality of life, my business that i have worked 7 years to build and could we address my problems head on. I am not speaking about surgery....just what exactly is my problem. We are aware of herniation at c56 with osteophyte complex...but i feel i am being sort of dismissed, like this isn't enough to cause me pain.

Each month as i look back I am going down hill...i have numbness in my face, twitching of muscles in my left side of my face jaw to check bone...i am very, very limited to any neck, shoulder movement. I don't want to continue tricking my brain through meds....i am hoping that there is a solution that can help fix things.

My expectations have lowered over these 2 years...i don't expect to ever feel like i did...but i really want a quality of life back.

thank you for your support and input - we shall see what he will suggest....i don't know if he would consider the full spine mri - i know i'd like that - but what if they don't find anything more than they already know! I guess I am in the belief that if you don't know what the problem is you don't know what to fix....but isn't what i have something that needs fixing?!
  • it must be so frustrating for you. dont give up hope of a solution, keep at nagging at them until you get some kind of a solution.

can you try another doc?

sometimes we have to really push our dr's to take action, its like that in the UK with the NHS, I am lucky that i go private, courtesty of my fiance. i am not sure how it works in the US.

keep going for the mri, neurosurgeon and 2nd opinion.

• ps

i think i am recovering well thanks, my biggest hurdle is to stop myself from doing too much and buggering myself up again, i have all the patience in the world with others, but very little for myself.

trying to be good and fet plenty of rest and recovery time.

take care

• thank you for your encouraging words...and i will update you after my wed appt. sometimes knowing i have to answer to people how the appt went, spurs me on to not become a puddle at teh doc visit.

I understand the overdoing....i am sure i have not helped myself....but no doc has told me to slow down or think of another profession. Today was my first day back at work, i am a gardener. Why i picked one of the larger jobs to start out with is beyond me...but it is over and my and my 2 employees got thru it - whew!

i am certain at this point my business is not helping at all, but i love it so and it works well for my family. thank you again for your encouragement - I liked your 'one in a million - and guess what I was the one in the million"

i hope that you can be patient with yourself...it is tough, but as i am sure you already know, you are not helping yourself recover by doing too much.

take care,
  • I know its just so tough when there is so much to do. yes i can imagine being able to garden, i have never been good bent down or on my knees for too long as it is! lol

I, like you,. love my work (or did until i lost my job recently as company has closed down!) i am a carer, and going back into that type of work is really important to me, but also a little impractical too. I will have to say what the job centre people say when they get sick of paying me to be off work! at least a get a few quid (hopefully) to help pay credit cards.

good luck for wednesday!