Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 days since low back fusion....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
seemed to be doing ok but I have an incredibly painful calf muscle. had it checked for blood clot, but nothing. anyone experience the same thing? If so, how long did it last and were you given any exercises to help? What meds worked best (I have just about everything...and then some)

...this is not like an annoying pain, but more like an excruciating pain. Any advice would be appreciated.

• I had my L5/S1 fusion on 1/29/09, I had the the pain in the calf muscle also. I would put a small pillow under my leg while sitting in my recliner. It seemed to help me.
    Still have alot of lower back pain, and the great muscle pain. But am hoping that goes away. go in 2 weeks to see if the bone graph is taking.

Amanda L
  • did your doctor have an explanation for the pain? Mine has not which concerns me more. otherwise, I feel the surgery is progressing as normal.
  • My doctor explained to me that I was in surgery for 10 hours and that takes a toll on your body. Also my pain was on my left leg. My left leg was the one that had all the pain numbness. He explained to me that it takes along time for nerves to heal. He said healing of the nerve is about an inch per month. So it may take awhile for the nerve to heal and all symptoms to go away.
    Are you having problems with standing up from a sitting postion? I still have problems with that. I don't know if that is normal or not.
    I was suppose to have a 360 degree fusion. But it turned into something else. Which really hasn't been explained to me yet. Something about 2 fractures on my L5 is why they could not do the 360. But you would think they would of seen fractures on 3 mri's and a cat scan.
    Good luck to you:)
    Amanda L
  • lastoryboy

Oh man, I remember that pain. Does it feel like a burning sensation and the strongest person in the world clamping down around the muscle with all their might?

Hang in there, I'm 6 weeks ahead of you in my recovery and I pretty much got the same info from my Doc as Amanda L. I rubbed Icy-hot on my calf persistently for a month, which helped a little. Pain meds and Flexeril did nothing for the pain. He recently precribed Nerontin (1200mg/day), and my pain has reduced significantly in the last 2 weeks. I'm not sure if the pain relief is due to the medication, or healing, but I'm not ready to quit the drug yet.

I hope relief comes quicker for you!
  • I had a three-level lumbar fusion and had horrible excruciating pain after it in my legs. They put me on Lyrica for a month and it helped to stop it. For a while I was writhing around like I had restless leg syndrome or something. Not sure it that is what is bothering you, mine was just nerve pain.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Try a calcium/ magnesium/vitamin D supplement . That worked for me when I combined it with acupuncture. That pain almost drove me insane - but it did finally go away.
  • It's probably a centimeter per month not an inch.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Did you get your H+P (History and physical) from the hospital? I'd get all the medical records and read them.

Would give you good insight on your surgery and what the surgeon saw/did.

In my notes it stated my nerve was undamaged intact repositioned. Stuff like that.