Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spondy Fusion, 1 or 2 levels??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Now here is a question, prompted from another post.

Do spondys have a one or two level fusion??

I had S1/L5 done then year later had L5/L4.

Is this normal? Do they need to secure the whole segment?

I have read about securing the slip level but how do you know which one it is...in my case L5 vertebra slipped. So S1 and L4 were "off"....

• I am not sure, in my case they fused the vertebrae both below and above the one that spondy. The level I guess depend on how many vertebrae show instability. I may not have answered your question, maybe soomebody will do a better job.

Best wishes,

• I had 2 levels done...well...actually one level done. I'm a weird case, but I had my L4/5 done even though my slip was at L5/S1. My OS could see that my L4/5 was a little dry and at risk for either slipping or herniating with taking on the load once I had L5 fused. I wanted him to only go in once (ha-ha) and fix whatever he needed to. So, he did my upper level pre-emptively. I think some surgeons look at the ability of the level above the slip to handle the weight and pressure. The way I think about it....if you sit your squishy butt on a concrete bench...your butt is going to give more than the bench. It's kinda the same.. your upper level is going to give b/c it's sitting on a "hard" fusion and hardware. Probably a bad analogy...but it somehow works in my brain. LOL :) Hope it helps!