Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just got my report and I don't understand it?????

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in New Member Introductions
I just got this report and I haven't gone to the doctor yet to have it read and I don't know what it means but this is what it says on the bottom of the report.
Lower Lumbar degenerative disc disease with L4*L5-S1 disc protrusions, resulting in mass effect, as described above. At L5-S1, there appears to be contact with the traversing left S1 nerve root. Clinical correlation is recommended. Please if anyone know what this means please contact me at dgkat1069@yahoo.com. I have been in pain for so many years and they keep giving me Ibuprofen and it's just not working for me and I would like to know before I go into the doctors office so that I can educate myself first before they keep giving me aspirin and telling me to go home while I'm paying all this money... I thank you in advance for all your help!
Sincerely, Christina

• Clinical correlation Means could have different meaning.So I guess they don't want to state one thing for shore because it could also be something else. hope this helps alittle.
  • You do have herniation of the discs at L4-5 and L5-S1. The disc material is then described as a "mass effect."
    At L5-S1 the disc material is coming into contact with the exiting nerve root which supplies feeling and sensation to your leg. While it states that the nerve root is "contacted", it does not appear to be under compression or flattening, which would produce increased pain and other neurological symptoms such as burning pain, tingling, numbness and potential weakness of the extremity.
    At this point, it does not appear that your spinal cord is affected. That does not negate your personal experience of pain -- it is very real.
    I have just had a cervical fusion C4-C7 which was done for three level disc herniations and disc dessication putting actual pressure on my spinal cord. I am fortunate that there was no permanent nerve damage and that within 3hrs of my surgery most of my neck, shoulder and arm pain was gone.
    Try and ask the doctor what he anticipates based on these findings. Would physical therapy help? Would a course of anti-inflammatory meds reduce swelling to the area and so forth. The biggest issue is the contact with the nerve root.
    The idea is to prevent further pressure on the nerve and alleviate the existing pressure to prevent any longterm damage.
    Best wishes ---
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry i cannot help you with your report, your doctor is the best person for that! :D good luck as you move forward with your treatment. Jenny :)
  • hi and welcome to Spine-Health. Below is some info about DDD Lumbar. Hope this helps you out. :)))

Welcome :H

Lumbar degenerative disc disease is a process that happens to the discs of the spine, usually as people age. The discs along the spine are soft and compress easily to protect the vertebrae and absorb shock. Although degenerative disc disease can occur at any place along the spine, it is most often seen in the lumbar region. The lumbar region is the lower portion of the back. It carries the brunt of the weight of the body.

As the body ages, the discs gradually degenerate, or break down. When this process happens in the lower back, it can cause lumbar degenerative disc disease. In addition, there is less fluid in the discs of the spine as people get older; this reduces shock absorption. Also, as the disc degenerates, small cracks may also form in the disc which can case the disc to rupture.