Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain

ChetCChet Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had surgery in 97, l5-S1 now 12 years later it starting all over again. Been in pain for last 14 months, tried epidural's, PT, Oxycontin nothing weems to work. Doctor diagnosis was disc degeneration on L3-L4 and L4-L5 and not related to injury. I have read that past surgery can cause disc degeneration.

Anyone know if this can be true?

• Great question for the doctor!!!

I found out my disc was arthritic....

now comes the chicken or the egg question....

Did my disc get arthritic because after it herniated...

or did it herniate because my disc was arthritic....

Didn't take my own advice and ask the doctor...

guess I was in too much pain to contemplate that at the time!

Hoping for the best for you.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    That will always be a long and puzzling question no matter what the subject.

There is proof that disc surgery can 'speed' up and advance disc degeneration. Understanding that everyone as we get older experience some level of disc degeneration. DDD and to an extent Spinal Stenosis is the aging of the spine.
    Surgery will advance this quicker.

But even those who never had surgery will experience some level of this.

Now for the arthritis, another good question and this one might be more defined at the individual level. Prior to my first disc surgery, I did not have any signs of arthritis in the spine or elsewhere. Since my multiple surgeries, disc arthritis as well as arthritis in my shoulders has increased at rapid paces. But I dont know if that is standard or not.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My surgeon in Pittsburgh told me that the 'early onset of arthritis' is common in bones that have gone through any type of surgery.I've had 'early' arthritis in both feet from operations since my 20's and many surgical breaks and PT to learn the proper method of walking again.

I would imagine this could happen in any bone that has been manipulated?