Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lack of support groups!

Shine OnSShine On Posts: 87
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Depression and Coping
Hello everyone ~
I don't know if anyone else has had or is having this same problem...I can't find any local chronic pain support groups. A place like SH but only in person, I hope that made sense. I just wish I had a place to go to talk to people that have the same issues as me, my family is understanding but I need more =( I am seriously thinking about starting one on my own because I know there are people out there that I could help, and they could help me. My question is how do I go about doing this? Does anyone have any ideas?

• I have asked all three of my "regular: physicians about pain support to deal with this and they all three looked at me like I was nuts! One of them was my shrink too!
    I gave up.
  • I have asked my PM doctor and even my local Medtronic rep. and they agree that there are none in our area. We have all looked. I think that is so sad, if I'm looking I know there are many more out there. My Medtronic rep. said there is a huge need for it, that's why she has been looking so that she would have a place to refer people. They all agreed that I should start one but I have no clue how to go about it, but I would love to. I have been through he!! and I think I could really help people and it would be great therapy for me too. Chronic pain sufferers need support darn it!!!
  • I too would love a group, not to complain, but for support and I have asked and there is no group like that here. I can't even find a professional counselor that deals with Chronic pain people like the pain I have in my foot. I don't need more meds, I only need someone to understand and help me understand what to do when I feel so hopeless. Being told "get through it" is old to me..... how??????? They don't come home with me so they aren't there when I really need them. I get so tired of the blank stares or I have to go when I start to tell someone who says they are interested in helping me.
    Sorry I went on. It is just something I really need now.
  • It would nice to have a local support group. I suffered from depression before I got chronic pain. Now it seems like the pain keeps me depressed.
  • I need support now too. A place to go and just talk, to people that understand what I'm going through because unless you've been here you can't possibly understand. I'm glad that I'm a pretty strong person because there is nothing out there. This site has been a life saver for me but some face to face support would sure be nice right about now.
  • I don't know if this would work, but you can find a lot of pain websites (The American Pain Assoc., National Pain Foundation, etc.) and maybe they have an area where they list pain groups and how you can start one in your area.

Just a thought.

• I wish there was somewhere to go where other people understand what you are going though. It would even be nice to have someone to vent to once in a while. Family and friends say they understand but really if you haven't gone through the pain and agony you really don't unerstand.
  • thats what we do here! no people don't get it. there are very few people who have the empathy to relate to us. it would be nice to do this face to face, but I'll take what i can get!

scuse my typing today. one handed, bad day for the right one!
  • Good idea Cath, I will try that.
    Wrambler you crack me up =) And I agree, SH has been a huge life saver for me, not sure what I would have done without it.