Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

avoiding permanent damage

jasrojjasro Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
the past few days have been scarey. i've not been able to schedule an appt to be seen because i've not figured out how i'd get myself there. in the meantime, please share your advise/speculation on the urgency/seriousness of what's going on??

when i'm upright, i experience tight gripping and numbness up the back of my neck and up the sides of my face. it gradually goes to my left arm and leg. it's relieved lying in neutral position.
when i lie on my back, pain, numbness stretches from one shoulder to the other - accross the top of my chest.
when i lie on either side, my lower jaw, face and inside my mouth fills with numbness and needles - and gets more intense and scarey the longer i lie there.
my throat is constantly numb, with numbness & burning inside my eardrums. feels swollen but doesn't appear to be.

i'm trying to stay in neutral as much as possible for fear of damage. but...not sure what would create permanent damage and what wouldn't. is it okay to be moving around at ALL? should i call the EMT? i *think* i can remain calm and flow with it...but just need to know if my thinking is okay.

thanks so freaking much.

• I can sure relate to what you are going through. You did not say when was the last time you saw your doctor, or the reason you got the MRI in 2007. Your problems might be an on going thing with the cervical stenosis, but I too am new to this.

Do you have trouble sleeping and getting your neck supported at night so it does not hurt? When you get up does the pain subside when you support your head with your hands? These are all things I had to go through when I was just starting out.

Do you have anyone to take you to the dr? Is there any kind of bus service in your area? We have a community service that provides bus service to dr apts and stores for shopping here.

I do not know about the nerve damage part to be able to calm your fears. Sorry if I am not much help. My dr told me to only do what my body allowed me to do.

Remaining calm, relaxing and checking what movement makes it worse and what movement makes it better it what will help a dr with a good diagnosis. I will be praying for you!

God Bless!

• I am very sorry you have that kind of pain. I am new
    at this and have been dealing with my new disabling neck
    pain for 6 months. It is very scary. I would suggest
    to call an ambulance and go to the emergency room just to
    be on the safe side and let your Dr. know that you are
    going there. I would request that they take another MRI at
    the emergency room just to make sure the nerve pain you
    are having isn't going to be permanent nerve damage.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

I'll pray for you. Christie
  • you said you can relate to what i'm going through. does that mean you've experienced not being able to be in an upright position without these scary effects? and also that you have difficulty getting into a neutral position when lying down for relief?

yes, i've had trouble sleeping but not because my neck hurts. it's having a mouth & face numb and full of needles. not that it's particulary screaming painful...but it sure is enough to keep me awake. fear alone does that. it's like, OMG...what if i move the wrong way??

my son was laid off today. bad for him, good for me. he's taking me to the doc tomorrow.

i read some more on the forum and see a lot of people experience this stuff...for years ! omg ! i always thought it was a medical emergency !

you are so right...about remaining calm. my head is vibrating with electriciy..pulsing with it. if i were to cry, i think it would explode from the pressure. calm is IN.

thank you...cathy
  • thank you, christie. i'm going to bide my time until tomorrow when i see a doc. i took some valium...it has relaxed my shoulder and neck a lot making me able to be in an upright position longer than twenty minutes without having the arm/leg numbness. i'm not pushing it tho'.

• I have been very concerned and wondering how you are feeling? I hope you are feeling better. Will you let
    me know how you are doing?

Have a nice evening and take care! Christie
  • i had cervical and lumbar mri's done two days ago - as well as flexation x-rays of both. in the meantime, i'm taking valium every three hours (ugh) and it's helping tremendously. it must be a tight muscle thing blocking nerves/arteries - but i'll find out from the doc in 3 more days. he told me not to move around too much. also told me that if i hadn't of had a brain mri a year ago - he'd be ordering one.
    my face is still numb (beard area)(but i'm a girl) and eardrums burning - but back to a normal level of hell instead of the really scary stuff.
    thanks so much for asking. it's hard being alone.
  • What did you find out?

I have cervical issues and I am starting to feel face and mouth numbness and it is freaking me out

I am wondering if the 2 are related, because when my neck and shoulders feel very tense, the facial numbness cranks up
  • What did you find out?

I have cervical issues and I am starting to feel face and mouth numbness and it is freaking me out

I am wondering if the 2 are related, because when my neck and shoulders feel very tense, the facial numbness cranks up
  • Is Fibromyalgia the cause? EDITED

Edited by moderator paulgla. Inappropriate comment.
  • Countrygram, Your line of thinking was right on the money. The scarey symptoms have gone away and I was told it was most probably "pressure neuropathy". It may have been created by sleeping at an odd angle or even from 'some' daily activity.

Ouchiewowwow (love the name), I questioned the Doc who ordered the new MRI's over and over - trying to get out of the MRI expense - "Could this just be muscle tension?" He said, "no". It was a different doc who said, "yeah".

I'm grateful to be able to read other people's experiences because I've learned that sometimes issues just don't show up on MRI's. A lot of docs seem to hide that knowledge. I know better now.

JKDE, I tend to think that "Fibromyalgia" is just another word for "spinal cord/root irritation". The more active I am, the more systemic pain there is.