Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hello everyone... rotated L4 pressing on L5

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,

I'm really pleased to have found this forum as I've been hunting around for info on the web, and finding it a bit of an information overload. Basically I've been told by my physio that I have hypermobile joints, and that's what's causing my back problems. It started last summer, and after suffering with mild to moderate pain for a few weeks I went to the doctor, who said it would be weeks before I would get seen by a physio on the National Health Service. So I went private, and the physio said straight away that my L4 had rotated. So I had some physio, did the exercises she gave me, and things pretty much settled down in a few weeks (I was never right though - always stiff and not very comfortable). Then this weekend I started getting nagging pain, which developed over 48 hours to severe pain, so bad I had to call out the doctor one morning because I couldn't get off my hands and knees. By the time the doc arrived I was covered in sweat, and really in a state. She gave me an injection of dicloflex, and some more dicloflex to take orally, plus diazepam and codeine pain relief. I'd already made an appointment with the physio the day before, and I managed to get there. The physio said my L4 had rotated again, and was pressing on my L5. Again she tells me that my back is hypermobile, and that once she's manipulated it back in and I'm a bit better, I need to concentrate on strengthening my back through exercises. Well, I'm more comfortable today (still in some pain, but the drugs are helping), but feeling so down about all of this. Looking at some of the back problems others have, mine pales into insignificance, but I wondered if anyone could tell me whether I'm getting good advice? Two local people are saying not to use this physio - from their experience she isn't very good - and that's making me wonder too. Should I get a second opinion? And can anyone point me towards a good resource (web page, video, book) about strengthening your back? I work with computers (self-employed) and need to be able to sit for long periods, but right now I'm struggling. There's no sick pay for me if I'm unable to work :-( These drugs are spacing me out too...

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to offer their advice :-)

Bec
advertisement

Comments

• I am not sure what to say about your physio. If there are two seperate people telling you that the physio is no good it may really be worth getting another opinion. When my troubles first started I went to a chiropractor and it actually helped at first. In the long run I think that he did more harm than good. Have you had xrays or MRI done yet? It would seem that the tests should be done in order to rule out a more serious issue. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. good luck as you seek pain relief. :D please keep us informed. Jenny :)
  • Thanks for the welcome. I haven't had an MRI or Xrays done, but I think you're right J.J. Grey, I need more investigation to check there isn't an underlying a problem. I'm getting an appointment with my doc on Monday with a view to asking for referral for those.

I know rest isn't supposed to be good for back problems, but it makes mine feel so much better. I get up almost pain free (remembering I'm on painkillers, diazepam and dicloflex), but within 5 minutes or so I'm feeling like everything's compressing. Then I can spend an hour or so moving between different chairs, before I go back to bed for a proper lay down (and I often fall asleep... that's probably the diazepam). Ah well, at least I can get some relief! Just hope I'm doing the right thing!

Take care everyone, and I'll post my news as it develops.
  • You know the old saying, if it feels good do it. And then there is if it hurts don't do it. I think that our bodies often tell us what they need.
  • Reading the part where you couldn't get up brought back a memory of me about 3 months ago. I couldn't get up from my crouching position because my back locked up. I called my husband to come and haul me up. I thought next time I'll drop down to a laydown position from there. Anyways it's good if you carry your cell wherever you go. Yours may be more serious than mine but after getting facet joint injections December and today,my back is feeling better. I hope your Dr gives you an MRI. I had to ask my Dr for one as I was dragging my butt at work for 3 months popping platinum robaxacin like there's no tomorrow. Then I found out why. I collapsed at home 2 days after the MRI and after a heavy assignment at work the night before. I couldn't walk for 4 days. I would get the MRI before doing too much strenuous excercise at physio. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • This same thing started happening to my approx. 5 yrs. ago. It was workers comp so I had to go to their Dr. I also got the injections. I was supposed to have a set of 3. the first set was in Nov.2004 it lasted aprrox. 1 1/2 weeks. The second set was in Dec. 2004 this set last about 3days. I refused the 3rd set in Jan.2005 after I researched and found most of the injection will cause arthritis. Already having arthritis in in my lower back I thought to my self what kind of a quack would recommend this. I just kept working through the pain and thankfully I had a wonderful boss. In Jan. 2008 while I was doing snow removal I got the worst pain ever and could only walk if I leaned sideways. Instead of using the company Dr. I went to my own which did an MRI and it showed I also had a tear in the annual anter. The first thing he said was can you live on dis-ability and prescribe oxicodone for the pain. Which I was elergic to so now I have about 4 pain meds and they still don't work well.
    Well I am on dis-ability and things are not getting any better.

My suggestion is see your medical dr. stay away from Chiropractors. From experience they can hurt you worse.
advertisement