Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post discectomy durability?

backman38bbackman38 Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Everone,

What is the perception of how long a surgery will hold? Let's face it, some of us just can't "take it easy". That's how some end up with procedures. I wish there was a point scale, based on a patient survey, that could help us decide. When we are in pain, we need to know! I am better than I was, but it was the pain that made the decision. Now, the pt and my doctor encourage activity. However, with a worked on disc, what can I expect? 1-7 years then the same hell again? "Take it easy/Get out and live your life." Ironic or an oximoron?

• This is the 64 million dollar question, how long will surgery hold? Unfortunately, I don't think anybody can give a perfect answer, including the medical professionals. I find it helpful to adopt a positive attitude, do as my dr. tells me, eat right, walk, do my exercises and bend or move in such way as to give maximum protection to my lower back. Other than that, I try not to worry about what the future holds. Que sera, sera!

Wishing you the best,

• I have heard a micro should last 10 years . Mine on the other hand lasted months, my only restriction was not to lift over 50 pounds I didn't but I did alot of bending and twisting and repetitive lifting and bending . The thing to remember is once you herniate and get it fixed you reherniate easier. Just do what your doctor says and hope for the best.good luck
  • I had a one level ACDF in Oct. I anticipated from all of the literature that I could expect another surgery in about 10 years. I figured I could live with that. Well now I'm scheduled for a C4/C5 fusion and still trying to heal at C5/C6. No one knows for sure. Some may last a lot longer than we think and others end up like me in very short order. I wish we could give you the answer but if the doctors can't even predict it how can we as the patient? I just had to consider what quality of life I want for now and not worry about what might happen down the road.
  • Nothing scared me more than when my PT said "Live your life." That was after she told me reherniation could happen any time and about how many people she has seen who reherniate without seeming to do anything to bring it on. I have new pain around my tailbone, and it scares me that something is wrong. (Mine was a MicroD L5-S1 6 months ago). I just started doing leg lunges in the form the PT taught me. It maybe that I am using muscles I haven't used before. But you know how every twinge is scary!

An associate of mine had a discectomy and it lasted 30 years before she had to have it again. That gives me hope. Meanwhile, I'm pain-paranoid!

• My brother had back surgery 25 years ago he fell 3 stories and shattered 3 discs. Just recently he was having pain in his leg so lyrica and amitriptyline was given to him and it's helping. He's 50 now. I hope he won't need surgery again. But take one day at a time is something I'm learning to do. I hope you make a good recovery Backman and take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN