Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I don't know which pain goes where.....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have problems in my neck area and in my low back. I don't really know for certain which pains belong to which area....
I have a horrible constant ringing within my ears...Hi pitch and bothersome.
My arms and hands are tingling and numb. Very, very sensitive to heat and cold. Feels as though my nerves are on the outside of my hands.
My head is numb from my forehead up and across my face below my nose to my chin.
My legs ache from my hips down. My right foot is almost numb and my toes feel as though there is a rubber band around them. My left foot does this sometime, but my right foot is constantly numb. I am unsteady on my feet at times.
I can't stand for very long without having to sit down and my low back hurts constantly to the point of feeling like it is breaking.

Can anyone tell me which pain goes with my neck and which with my low back?

Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• What does your doctor say? Did they give you a diagnosis? I wish you luck & hope you get the answers your looking for.
  • It sounds like you may have tinnitis with the ringing of your ears but from what I've read it doesn't really go with neck pain. It can however be because of a medication that you are on or many other reasons. Have you seen a doctor or had an MRI? That would be the BEST place to start. I hope that you can find the cause of all of this very soon.
  • I went to one of the best Neurosurgeons I could find. My ears didn't have the problem when I saw him initially....1/2/09. That just started about 3 wks ago.
    MRI of my neck and low back was done on 1/23 and he told me that I need disc replacement/spinal fusion in my lumbar and my neck. I was so shocked at the findings that I really didn't get all info I should. My symptoms are worsening.
    At first I had one bad/one good day, then went to mostly bad days and now miserable days.
    I was scheduled for the lumbar spinal fusion this past Mon.2/23, but last week Ins. co. denied coverage of surgery and insisted it be done as outpatient. We have appealed and thus far have lost appeal.
    Ins. has agreed for me to go to another Neurosurgeon for a 2nd opinion. Have appt. on Tues., March 3.
    I don't relish idea of surgery, but really want to feel better and at point to do anything. My forehead is warm/clamey, my cheeks and across my mouth are ice cold. I know that there is tons of nerves being pinched in neck and low back.
    I have a long list of pains and I have typed all, guess I'll give them to the Dr. on Tues and let him tell me which ones apply to low back and which to neck. I feel like I'm rambling, sorry, just in so much pain and pain med either doesn't help or makes me so very sick.
    Thanks for responding.
  • ever seen a dermatome chart? Search that term and you will what nerves go to what part of the body. I have permanent nerve damage in the S1 dermatome. Had this confirmed by EMG, but I found the dermatome chart to be very interesting and helpful.

Cheri
  • I know scheduling neck surgery on an outpatient basis sounds really scary! But my neuro-surgeon does this for the majority of his patients! I was astounded too when he told me this! Had I not had a reaction the the morphine they injected in my IV, I would have been ready to go home same afternoon. You might talk to your insurance rep, they should have one, about this. Discuss if in the surgery or recovery if something goes wrong that you can't go home same day, would that be covered? I do truly understand where you are coming from, but sounds like you really need the surgery. Which one did he recommend first? Cervical or lumbar? They won't do both at same time. At least my surgeon wouldn't. Good luck, and please let us know how you are doing.

Maggie
  • One reason that the Neurosurgeon insists on hospital stay is that I live almost 4 hours from the hospital. The area we live in has very few Neuros and to get an appt. is next to impossible. The Neuro I have is excellent and I really feel that this was an answer to lots of prayers. Having said all that....he wants to do the lumbar first and then to wait 6-12 months to do neck. I made a list of all my symptoms a couple months ago and there was 11 things on the list, made another one yesterday and there are now 23 on list. Symptoms continue to get more and more. Just last night my forehead felt hot and clamey, my cheeks, across my lips and my chin felt like ice....not only to me, my husband was just shocked in the difference in different parts of my face.
    The ins. co. wants out patient surgery for the lumbar and my Neuro says absolutely not. I don't relish surgery, I just want to be able to do things without so much restriction because of pain. On a very personal note, it really has begun to hurt to be intimate with my husband and that really is terrible.....but even loading the dishwasher, unloading is painful....everything. I am so frustrated
  • One reason that the Neurosurgeon insists on hospital stay is that I live almost 4 hours from the hospital. The area we live in has very few Neuros and to get an appt. is next to impossible. The Neuro I have is excellent and I really feel that this was an answer to lots of prayers. Having said all that....he wants to do the lumbar first and then to wait 6-12 months to do neck. I made a list of all my symptoms a couple months ago and there was 11 things on the list, made another one yesterday and there are now 23 on list. Symptoms continue to get more and more. Just last night my forehead felt hot and clamey, my cheeks, across my lips and my chin felt like ice....not only to me, my husband was just shocked in the difference in different parts of my face.
    The ins. co. wants out patient surgery for the lumbar and my Neuro says absolutely not. I don't relish surgery, I just want to be able to do things without so much restriction because of pain. On a very personal note, it really has begun to hurt to be intimate with my husband and that really is terrible.....but even loading the dishwasher, unloading is painful....everything. I am so frustrated
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.