Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Blood Bank?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm curious to know how many have banked their own blood prior to surgery? I went last week & donated a pint & again today for another pint. Now, if I need blood during surgery I just hope I get my own blood now after going twice to have it drawn LOL.
I'm sure I will. My time is coming up, less than a week now.
Also, wondering if many of you were able to sit in a recliner after l 4/5 spinal fusion & decompression/Dynesys surgery?

Hope everyone is doing OK.

Diagnosis- L 4/5 Spondylolithesis with Foramenal Stenosis.Dynesys system
Surgery- 4 March 2009

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    for each of my spinal surgeries. Basically the same reason I wanted my own bone for fusion.

I wanted something that belonged to me...
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi, I'm fairly new here. This board is wonderful :) I am scheduled for two level decompression and fusion L4-S1 on March 10 and I too donated blood. The tech told me they will only give it to me since they do not run the battery of tests on it as they would if you were just donating blood. After 35 days it expires and they throw it out. When are you scheduled for surgery? Good luck to you !
  • Hi, I am scheduled for a two-level PLIF (L4-S1) on March 9th! We should all keep in touch and compare notes after surgery.

I am going tomorrow to donate a unit of blood for my upcoming surgery. Does anyone think it's strange that we can donate blood up to a week before surgery? Don't you have to wait like 3 months in between "regular" donations for a blood bank? Why is this?

Keep in touch!

• I am going next Tuesday to try to donate my own blood. I had a blood test yesterday for my pre-op and the person who drew the blood said they would never get a 16 guage needle in my veins. I am going anyway to give it a try, but I have tried several times in my life and I they never even tried to put the needle in, due to my small veins.
    My Mom said she would give if I can't, I am going to ask if that is possible, we are the same blood type and so is my Dad.
    My surgery date is March 24 for a TLIF on L4-S1. I hope you all do well in your surgery and have a good recovery.
    Take care,
  • I just gave my 2nd unit on Monday, Surgery is March 10th for me! I had the same prob with small viens, but they were able to get almost one full unit the first time and a full one the second time. That needle is a whopper!! LOL

Good luck with surgery, keep us posted how you do since we will all be so close with the date :)
  • I asked about donating before my surgery but was told that there are all kinds of insurance approval junk to go through - so I gave up. An unfortunate choice.

I ended up needing 2 units in my second surgery.
  • My surgeon told me before my fusion surgery that he did not think I will need a transfusion, so i did not give any blood. Thanks God, he was right.
    By the way, my insurance has this clause that they pay for a tranfusion, but not if I donate for myself. Is that strange or what?