Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recieved my lumbar MRI report today.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Lower Back Pain
Well, it's good news and bad news. The good news is that I don't have spondylolisthesis.

The bad news is that I have a acute annular tear on the left associated disc protrusion at the left L4 nerve root and causing mild nerve deformity.
A focal disk protrusion at the midline at L5-S1 w/effacement of the anterior aspect of the thecal sac.

Next, I see my Doc to find out what options I have,in the mean time I will do research. I am still looking into switching Doctors, and I need a referral to do that. So I'v been working on that. The new Dr would be a spinal stenosis neuro Doc,and specializes in stenosis. The old Doc only specializes in spinal care? Hope all goes well.

Oh,and my psychiatrist upped my lexapro for my depression. Thank u all for reading. Dar

• I'm sorry to hear that. For me the anular tear has been painful as well as the sciatica. Are you on any nerve meds or pain meds? I'm taking well, it's all in my signature all the meds I'm on. I'm hoping it will heal on it's own but it's been over a year now and still getting injections for facet joints now. I'm not sure if it's all related having arthritis in your joints from the herniated disc and tear or if I had arthritis first then the herniated disc and tear happened. I'm a RN so all that repeative movements, pulling, pushing, lifting may have contributed to that as well as for you in your job. Good luck with your treatments Dar. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi, my back has been bothering me for a long time,and thought it was just tired,sore,etc from all the lifting I did as a nursing ass. I have been home now for a year now due to the pain,but my Doc says I should go back to work as a nursing ass. Thats B.S I'v lost my disibility insurance in Jan because of his decision. I was told by two other Dr's thats the kind of work I shouldn't be doing.

I can clean,and will be in pain 5-10 after I start sweeping etc. I will continue until I'm slumped over and I know that I will suffer greatly. I will usually have to recoup for a day or two. It really sucks! Plus, my moods are up and down,I never seem to be happy with anything anymore. I am crabby when Im in pain. Especaily,when I have to take care of dinner or do things for the kids ect.

As far as pain meds, they first had me on Gabbapintin 300mg to start and continued to up my dose. I was maxed out,and I didn't like how it was effecting me. So,I went off that.

Currently, I take Tramadol usually two tabs,ibprophene 800mg,an anxiety pill at night,lexipro 20mg,imetrex,tizanadean as needed which I hardly ever use anymore. So that about sums it up. I just started the 800's for my arm pain,bicept is inflammed.

Well, talk to ya later. Hope all is well with you,and that we can talk more sometime. Thanks,Dar

• Did you know that there are antidepressants out there that can help with nerve pain and back pain as well. I take cymbalta for depression/anxiety and I just found out a couple of months ago they prescribe that for nerve pain too.

My primary doc doesn't understand what I am going through either and said maybe going back to work would be the best thing for me. He doesn't understand, it's excruciating just doing little things around the house and like you said...it takes 1-2 days to recover. I would have to work every 2nd or 3rd day and only for a short amount of time. He admitted he didn't know much about the surgery and isn't equipped to make that decision.

Going for another opinion is a great idea. Make sure you keep notes of everything. You have to be your advocate and push to get an answer. My advice is to continue trying different treatments to see if they work before you have surgery depending on how bad your back is and if an emergency surgery is required. That's just my opinion. I did try all conservative treatments before surgery and nothing worked.

Even though I am very bummed out today, I am still pushing forward and going to continue to find someone who will treat me and listen to me and stop telling me tests show I shouldn't be feeling like this. Last I checked, paper can't talk and I'm in pain.

Good luck with everything and keep in touch.
  • I try to hold in my stomach to do any chores. I used to wear a lumbar support belt but now I just walk around all day holding my stomach in and strengthening my core muscles. I received more facet joint injections and another epi and I think it helps a little. But I'm not well enough to work. Sometimes I think I could work 4 hours but it's not so easy to get back to work after disability. I have another year before my job is gone, I hope to be better by then. Dar really I've been off a year also don't let them rush you back. Some of the stress comes from having no funds coming in. Just another thing to worry about and delay your healing. Like Ming says their is also other meds like cymbalta and amitriptyline is what I take for nerve pain and antidepressant. Hope you find a good pain management Dr also. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Cherry :) how are you doing? Thankyou so much for your concern and understanding. I am so thankful for you and all the others that understand where Im coming from. It really gives me the strength to keep fighting!

I have a new neurosurgeon I see her next tueday and I hope that she will be the one who can give the answers I need. I need the right kind of treatments and put on the right kind of med for my pain. I am thinking that my nerve burn is healing cuz my neck pain is slowly coming back. Im scared it could get worse and I may need surgery in the future. So we will talk about my options for preventitive treatments,and whether or not I should go back to work.

I just can express enough how hard it has been for me,trying to get back into cleaning the house ect.. I still get migraines and always have pain. My back is causing my pain in my legs and I think that an epidural my help or not. My leg numbs when Im lying down, my foot get numb and pain on top of my foot. I get up from lying down and it's like stepping on pins and needles. I am a mess!

I also am having problems with my left arm and I have seen my doc for that. He said that I pulled my bicep that if it dosn't heal that I have to have a mri done of that. It's not caused from my stenosis. I think it has something to do with a fall from last yr. I also think my shoulder pain has something to do with my stenosis with me leaning my head that way cuz of the pain.

My job ended last July,they gave me 6mo for med leave. I couldn't go back I wasn't ready. My pain mang Dr told me to go back to work as a NAR. I lost my fight for disibilitie for social security,and my disibility insurance threw my work and that was my only income. Now, I am on goverment assistant and they require you to go out and find a job. Im not prepared to find a job i have too many problems with my health and my pain. I have hope that this new Doc will help me with my appeal for my disibilty insu,and ss disibility. She needs to tell me whether or not I could go back to work as a NAR and if she says no way then I will win my fight.

Anyways, Im gonna let u go for now,hope all is well with you and that your staying strong. Thanks for listening,your friend Dar :)
  • Wow Your work disability ran out? I'm sorry to hear that. I had short term then government funds for 15 weeks then LTD from work. I'm sorry you lost your job. I hope that some epidurals help your leg. It helped mine. That's good you have some income. How can you work when ou can barely walk. Do you have a union where you worked? I do hope you'll get better. Never give up. Let us know when you get some injections. Are you on pain meds. Take care. Charry
  • Hi thankyou for your understanding and concern I really appritiate that. It really helps to have people know what your dealing with and the pain that is controlling your life. I have lost so much it pains me and my depression is caused from my pain. I have tryed cymbalta and it upsets my stomach and yes it also helped me with my pain. I am on lexipro and my doc just upped my dose. Was having bad thoughts you know.

I see a new neurosurgeon on Tue I am so thilled that I will actually be able to see someone who specializes in spinal stenosis. I hope that I will get all the answers,take all the preventative measures and put on the right kind of medication. I hope like I was telling Charry that I have been fighting for ss disibility,and I was reciving dis insu threw my work and they cut me off cuz my old Doc said I could work as a NAR. yah right!

Im sorry it took me so long to respond,theres been so much going on lately,last wk. I hope you are feeling better,that things are looking up for you. It's so hard with these dam doctors some dont care and are in it for the money. That was my doc,and Im thankful that i got rid of him. "JERK"
    He really screwed everything up for me by telling me to go back to work as a nursing assistant. F-him! He dosn't know what I went threw at work,and how much pain I am in and sufferd all last yr. Worst yr of my life!! "2008"

Well, Im off. TC and talk too you soon. Smile! Dar
  • I see your on line,wow I never seem to catch anyone online. I will let you know what hpns on Tue hopefully they will do something right away to help me with my pain.I am taking 800's IBprophene,tramadol and still have pain.

I was union yes,but I dont know what good that would do now?

The gov requires everyone unless you have a doctors statement that you cannot work. Thats where my old doc screwed me when he told me to go back as a NAR. That took away my insurance disibility pmnts,and getting ss disibility. So, now I should be able to appeal these things and fight for what is right!

What do you do for a living? What state are you from? Dar
  • I live in Canada and I'm an RN. Off work 1 year due to L5-S1 herniated disc and tear. Usually the Union would've helped you with your rights for disability. I don't think it's too late to contact the union officer. I think you can still fight yes!. Good luck. Charry
This discussion has been closed.