Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7th day after a S1,L5 Anterior & Posterior Spinal Fusion,,,NO BM

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Maintenance

I am now at day 7 since my S1,L5 Anterior & Posterior Spinal Fusion and still no BM. I'm starting to get a bit concerned. I know I have eaten enough food to justify a bowel movement but still nothing. I am on perkiset or however you spell it and a muscle relaxor and I realize this is the main cause of the constipation. Still I haven't been passing a lot of gas and I have no desire for a bowel movement. Problem is the past few days I'm guessing what would normally be pooping time is a time of getting the sweats, chills, minor headaces and a bit of nausea. The pain without question is difficult to deal with but I expected that and having back pain since my early twenties and now mid forties I can handle that. I just want to poop. I've been taken of course the doculax, again sorry about spelling. I have tried mura-lax as well. Been drinking coffee which usually goes right through me but nothing is happening. I'm thinking the Fleet enema is coming this morning next. Any suggestions or thoughts, I think I should be concerned my wife is not really all that surprised because of the type of surgery it was and the meds I am on.

Thanks to anyone who replies and your ideas and suggestions.

• but have you tried something as simple as prunes?? with my medication i have found that I get really blocked up & these really do help - sometimes the old & simple ones are the best - but everyone is different!. BUT if nothing improvess in the next couple of days please do go & seek medical advice as there might then be something else underlying. Regrds db
  • Welcome.I can imagine your discomfort and concern because this has happened to me before..more times than I care to mention.

Of course-you should run this by your Dr first.Not only will you feel more relaxed and certain,but also your Doc might have better ideas.

Myself-I try to drink 8 oz of prune juice each day..it DOES help and is actually pretty cheap & healthy too..unlike a lot of the meds we try for constipation.During an uncomfortable time-say over 3-4 days I use a fleet enema,or a homeade soap suds enema(always ask dr first-lol).Even just warm water enema sometimes helps.

Believe me-many of us suffer with this issue on a regular basis if we don't try the everyday things.I've been out of prune juice so-I understand.

As far as your surgery goes-I hope that you are healing and feeling better each day :)))
  • Hi
    i am now on day 10 of posteria S1/L5/4 fusion plus other things
    It took me 8-9 days before i had any movement and the stomach pains were terrible
    you have to realise that all your muscles have been effected in your op so they have to get better... im on oxycodome and cant take liquid lactose but drank plenty and ate fibre toon senna tablets and finally i went... its not a great deal but its started all the same
    Today i have my dressings changed and stitches out....maybe i will feel a bit more human... i can believe the bruises i have.. they got to be the best ive seen lol

it will get there but of course call your doctor for advise
  • I was 8 days out with no BM and followed all the same routines as all of you. What did it for me was a suppository called Ducolax. Put that baby in there and hold on for at least 15 minutes and mambo. You are done. But remember keep drinking the prune juice and metamucil to keep you regular. Good Luck.
  • TDD14150TTDD14150 Posts: 5
    edited 07/02/2012 - 4:51 AM
    I had L5s1 TLIF just under three weeks ago bro and empathize with you dearly. I highly recommend milk of magnesia. I had a similar problem as you and a few ounces of this for a few days worked like magic. The pain killers are causing the back up so as long as your still pounding pills you may need to take more than the recommended dosage but Id put money on it that you will get relief. The only thing I found worse then constipation was passing a bm prior to finding out about the wonders of the magnesia milk. For your sake I suggest taking the milk before even attempting to pass, I wish I had! Good luck
  • Just got home from L5S1 surgery. I haven't moved my bowels for only four days now, but as someone who would go everymorning, and having slight fever and nausea, is concerning me after reading your post. How did yours go? Clear up any with laxatives mentioned and time? Gonna try something in the a.m.
  • Just got home from L5S1 surgery. I haven't moved my bowels for only four days now, but as someone who would go everymorning, and having slight fever and nausea, is concerning me after reading your post. How did yours go? Clear up any with laxatives mentioned and time? Gonna try something in the a.m.