Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain

girlsmommyggirlsmommy Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So at 16 I was diagnosed with Spondylolesthisis of L5 on S1 along with Spina Bifida Occulta. At 37 it was at a Acute on chronic grade 2 Spondylolesthesis with cauda equina syndrome. So the Dr.'s did an emergency Decompression and L4-S1 USS instrumental fusion a 7 1/2 hour operation. I was in hospital for 3 weeks following surgery. I thought I was fixed. Well not quite that easy...First i did nothing except "watch the grass grow" as my Dr. said then after the year I thought I would be better. Well was I ever wrong! I now suffer from the chronic pain of nerve damage to my spinal cord. As well as Degenerative Arthritis in my upper back now. Everyday is filled with pain after trying to do the most medial tasks. My family life has suffered because I can not be there for them physically as well as with the morphine my mind is clouded. I really feel like I have lost everything. We got a laptop so at least I can go on the computer but right now it is broken so I have to sit here to type this and it is excrutiating. So that is it in a nutshell. It has been 5 years now and it doesn't look like things are going to get much better. I would love to hear any encouraging words or advice.

• i can relate,

your post touched me...i spend most of my day in my room (my cave as i call it LOL) and am training my kids 9, 11, and 12 to come and spend time with their mom....

not easy when i must compete with the computer and tv and xbox for their attention!..crippled mom cannot compete!...but they are learning...it is tough, it is lonely, but no matter what, just remember, that your family DOES LOVE YOU!!!!

and tomorrow is another day, and who knows what they will think of next?

• I was crying reading your post because I truly feel alone in my cave too. Thank you so much for your kind words.
  • start trying to invint "cave time...watch a tv show or movie whatever you can with the family...suffer thru whatever they want to watch/do as long as they will enter the "cave"...LOL

can even do "bed picnics", slumber parties...get creative...

ps...twert nuttin ma'am... <):) ;)
  • I have used your suggestion a couple times now and what a differance. I feel included. And I get to spend some nice girl time with my daughter, she did my hair last night!!! What fun. I also went out and had lunch with my oldest. Even though it was aggonizing it was worth it.

Thank you so much, hopeless-in-mn
  • Girlsmommy, I read your story and my heart goes out to you and am sorry all of this has happened early in life. Dawn, I think we were separated at birth :D I ask my kids to hang out in my room so we can watch tv or chit chat together. Sometimes all I can do is lay down and the only fun thing is family movie viewing but finding something that everyone like to watch is like pulling teeth.