Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

has anyone been to a physiatrist????

lheinzellheinze Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Lower Back Pain
it's been almost 6 months since my laminectomy lumbar fusion multi level. have alot of pain and now my dr wants to send me to a physiatrist for therapy, pain mangement and possible nerve blocks etc..


  • I see a psychiatrist for depression,she goes over my symptoms I'm having. We talk about my situation with my pain,my Doc,and finding the best medication for my depression. I'v tried welbutrin,zoloft,prozac,cymbalta that also has pain medication in it.They,didn't work for me,the cymbalta really made my stomach hurt.So,she's trying the lexepro,so far it's been fine on my stomach.I'v had a stomachach all day though since she upped my dose last night.

    I'v never heard of a psych doc, doing nerve blocks. I think you would have to go to a special doc for that like I did.
    I had a spinal injection,and radiofrequency procedure where they burnt my nerve in my c4-6.

    Someone else may beable to answer your question better than me. I hope you find all your answers,and I hope the best for you. Thanks,and take care. Dar
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,863
    She is the medical directory of the Dept of Physiatry. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
    She has been the one doctor who pulled it all together for me. She managed my medications, coordinate visits to other specialists, arranged for various conservative treatments and scheduled diagnostic tests/
    She was the ONLY doctor that took a look at the WHOLE Picture. She looked at everything to make sure nothing was missed.
    In additional to her role as a physiatrist, she really is also my Pain Management doctor.

    A Physiatrist:

    A physiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in physical medicine, rehabilitation, and pain medicine. These spine specialists focus on the body's musculoskeletal system, which includes bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons, and nerves. Physiatrists treat patients of all ages with diverse problems ranging from simple low back sprains to complex disorders, such as spinal cord injury. Their comprehensive approach includes treating the entire patient, not just symptoms.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • thank you so much for your response. It's been almost 6 months since my back surgery and my dr at first suggested the pain management dr i had before surgery and i was like no way he did nothing but medicate me. And then he suggested a physiatrist and i had read up on them but wasn't sure how they were. I am still waiting for their call but my neurosurgeon said they may take a wk or so to call because they review everything. i will let you know how i make out.
  • it's a physiatrist dr for pain
  • I started seeing one at the University of Penn in the Physical Medicine department, spine center. I was impressed at the deliberate and eclectic approach they took. I had been diagnosed with Diabetic neuropathy, Restless leg, and disk disease. They ruled out diabetes with a nerve conduction test, and then did a test Facet injection with lidicane (sp?), pain went away in minuets. I go back for a localized steroid shot this week. Both shoots are done under a fluoroscope, again some thing else borrowed from another field of medicine.

    Ps- My interest had never heard of a Physiatrist either.
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.