Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

ALIF AND PLIF SURGERY

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,606
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
hey all.. newbie here.. am scared beyond belief.. was just told need and ALIF/PLIF surgery. Have been on hydrocodone for nearly 6 years off and on.. no one could find or even b elieve in my pain till I found or orthopedic surgeon who did a mylegram w CT.. pain levels can reach 10 at times because of the nerves being pinched.. couldn't get anyone to sympathize with my pain till I discovered this sight.. i really would like to hear from anyone who has had this procedure.... thank you so much
advertisement

Comments

• Hi,

Sorry you are having so much pain -hopefully. your upcoming surgery will help!

There are a number of folks on this site who have had ALIF/PLIF (sometimes called 360, I think). If you do a search of this forum you will find much info. Especially helpful is the list of Post-Op Must-haves.

I had this surgery in July 2008. My surgeon did the anterior surgery on a Monday and the posterior on Wednesday. Some people have both done at once - depends on the surgeon.

What levels will you have fused?
  • Good Morning Everyone
    i had another spinal fusion done on tuesday. This is my third fusion. I now have three levels fused in my neck and one in my lumbar. Does anyone else have multi level fusion?

• advertisement
  • In 2005 had ALIf this surgery took 5 hours it did help me but recovery 8 months
  • Welcome to Spine Health, Walter and Shari,

You are going to run across people with problems similar to your. Many postings talk about 360 fusion (ALIF/PLIF) and several people had fusions on different parts of their spine, cervical followed by lumbar, or visa versa. So just stay on, read the various threads, and don't be shy about posting specific questions you have.

Good luck to you both,

Kin
  • Is the axiaLIF procedure covered by medicare? My husband is 55 and on Permanent disability(for 5 years). We've been told artificial disc replacement was not covered by medicare, how can I find out when it will be covered? Any help appreciated, TerriPoole
  • advertisement
  • Yes it is. AxiaLIF describes the approach, the fusion is the same as PLIF,TLIF, ALIF etc. AxiaLIF results in lumbar fusion and if you fit the criteria for lumbar fusion under Medicare, AxiaLIF will be covered. Please realize AxiaLIF can only be used at 5/1 and 4/5. Should you be a candidate for AxiaLIF, you will most likely be home post op within 6-12 hours. One small incision near the tailbone and one small incision in the back. I work in the OR and have seen a number of these, for the right patient this is a terrific procedure.I wish you luck in your surgery.
  • I had a three-level Lumbar PLIF on November 19, 2008. Well, they tried anyway. They got the instrumentation in, but couldn't get through the scar tissue to get my discs out, so then had to go in through the front four days later. I think if they plan the 360 ahead of time, you'll be better off. Having two major surgeries within four days and having to undergo major anesthesia twice really wiped me out. I'm finally beginning to feel better and like the surgery was worth it. Still feel very stiff, but the pain is a lot better. Best wishes to you.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Just had two more levels fused in my neck, getting ready for a trial dorsal column stimulantor hope it help with this pain, the meds make my foggy
  • Well I went to my doc appt today. He wants to do a two level ALIF/PLIF fusion. He answered all my questions for me. I asked for a booklet about what to expect, and he told me to come to this website. I about started laughing. I told him Ive been coming to this site alot. Its workcomp related, so once they get the order from the doc they will get it approved. Does anyone know how long this surgery will last? Thats one question I forgot to ask him.
  • Yep, that's right #o , the doc's office called me late morning today. She said my surgery has been approved thru work comp, and said it was unusual to get it approved this fast and I told her what my lawyer told me. It is scheduled for Oct. 9. I have to be there at 5 30 am. Surgery is at 9 am. I have to go on the 28th of Sept. to do all my pre-surgery stuff. Which means surgery is six weeks away. >:D<
advertisement