Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 week post Op L5 S1 TLIF PSF

gowri45ggowri45 Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Hi Everyone

Hope you all remember me. I have not posted in a long time. I had my 6 week appt last Friday and the doc said I was doing good. I am upto almost 3 miles a day of walking. My calf is still a little sore but I can manage without any meds. I was screaming in pain for almost 2 weeks after surgery. The CT scan had shown that everything was in place. I started PT yesterday. I was a little concerned when the therapist lifted both my legs gently above his shoulder. IS this okay to do>? He said he was testing my Sciatic nerve. But i felt okay. Should I be concerned? I asked him about the tightening in my lower back. He says that will go away with time. Does anyone know how long will that take to go away? It is really bothering me. I would grealt appreciate suggestion to bend, My PT has shown me some. My OS said no more BLT. He said I can play golf(not that I do) swim and use cardio equipment. I was really thrilled. I love to do the treadmill. But have not done it yet. Any advise would be welcome. I love you all!!!

• I do know that the lifting of the legs is normal when looking for sciatic or nerves being pinched. as long as your flat on you back the articulation of the hip joint is not bad and the lifting will usually tell you right away if you still have nerve problem. I too am in recovery and dont know the answers to the other questions as they are some of the same questions i have
  • I have cerebral palsy and have had serious back and hip pain for 6 years. I have had multiple nerve blocks, cortisone injections and nerve ablations, not to mention PT beyond reason. My L5 disk has now totally collasped and is pinching nerves. My os told me my only option is a TLIF which will involve totally removing the horribly arthritic facet joint (3X normal size), cleaning out the inner disc space, inserting a spacer, putting in bone graft material and fusing with rods. Good news, it's done endoscopically. I know I am in for 3 hours of surgery, 3 days in the hospital and I am sure a great deal of post op pain. I am no wimp regarding pain, I've endured a hell of a lot along the way but just how much pain will I have to endure after surgery? Will I feel the hardware in my spine? How long and how intensive will the PT be? How long will I have to take it easy after surgery? How long on average does it take to get back to work (I have a desk job)? And, can anyone give me any idea how much all this will cost? I have good insurance but I know this surgery is very expensive and am worried about out of pocket expenses. I can't find any real cost info on the net. I am experiencing leg and foot numbness, throbbing, soreness, and severe burning in my backside, throbbing and soreness in my thigh, soreness and burning in my spine and leg weakness. What can I expect in terms of relief? Thanks for any advice/information.
  • Hi Felicia,

I was told to have TLIF surgery too as soon as i still in young I'm 33 now. 4-6 screws with rod in between L4 to S1. Allograft Bone. I was told that my right superior facet of the S1 vertebra is fragmented laterally. This issue can be settle or not, until now, my surgeon has no answer to me. It all need to depend on the surgery time. Now, I'm in plan. This is due to my L5-S1 disk collapsed after the Percudyn surgery 3 months ago. My experience also same with you like leg weakness, sore, numbness on right of my leg. I will have a very often heavy pain. I really can understand what you feel. As earlier when i know i have such of problem, i also need sometime to clam myself down after discussed with my PT.

As i was told, i need 3 months time to recovery & back to my work. I will no BLT. I need to really take care of my back. My PT will help me to train my muscle after this. I need to co-op with her. I really trust on her knowledge. I know that i will recovery from it. But, need to be patient. The cost for this surgery will around USD10-15K. I will cover by my personal insurance company.

I will return to my work on tomorrow after my first surgery. I will try to control my emotion & my pain as well as i can. I still on going with my PT. I'm very luckily because of my office management can understand of my problem & my PT really try to help me to solve my current pain. I will listen to my PT advice.

I hope that you can solve your problem before you on going to this surgery. I know this will heard to you. But, it is no choice due to our seriously exert on our spine.

Thank & take care. waiting for your new post again.