Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Where do I go from here?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Chronic Pain
I am going through pt, not sure that it is doing anything.
I am finding that I can greatly reduce pain if I simply don't sit at all, but that isn't possible. My PT person has me doing back extensions and an excercise to strenghten my gluteus muscles, but the pain I am feeling now is in both my hips, the middle of my butt- there is a place you can push your finger and I will feel pain. If I sit or stand too long in one place, I start to get shooting pains again down to my calves. At night, I get pain spasms all over my legs. To do this gluteus exercise, I have to squeeze the butt cheeks, and I swear that might be making it worse. We have had two warmer days (50 degrees from 20) and that seems to be helping with the pain, but it is definitely still there.

I have two PT sessions left, and not sure what to do. I have been told eventually I will be able to sit longer ( The PT person has told me to continue to only sit for 15 minutes and then to walk around). I can't do my job under these conditions and am worried about the future. How do I get the pain in my butt and hips to go away - is such a thing possible? I have been dealing with pain since September 08. I am feeling the best that I have right now.

• Have you seen an Orthopedic Doctor or a Neurosurgeon to diagnose why you are having this pain?
    PT can help a lot. Sometimes you need to look futher and get a second opinion and even a third if you are not getting better.
    Take care,
  • I'm so sorry to hear that you are suffering! When i went to PT everything they said to do HURT but i had to do it to get better! I ask so many questions and i don't think they liked it but that's the kind of person i am!! What they said to do did help alot, i just have to be very careful about twisting and turning!!

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • Thanks for the advice. Today, it was suggested I get a desk that I can stand at for work. I am an accountant, so I am not sure how well that will work! She now has me doing leg lifts and toe lifts to strengthen my hips. The pain is now mostly in my hips and butt, but does down to my thighs and calves if I sit too long. I have found that standing- primarily walking a lot seems to keep things lose and the pain away, but it isn't possible for me to walk while working!!!

My husband thinks I should call my doctor because he feels that the standing at my desk thing is not a solution.
  • Isn't that called a counter top?!!! I really have never heard that suggested and do not see how that would be a workable solution.
    By all means if it is workable for your job and it solves the pain then I say go for it!

This discussion has been closed.