Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Independent Medical Evaluations

dgardineerddgardineer Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I don't know if this is in the right spot but anyway. Today i had my IME exam and what a joke it was ,first it was wat too far away it took about an hour to get there not including the 30 minutes that I got lost, Then I was there for literally 10 minutes beginning to end . The evaluation was dumb he did all the same old bend down what hurts stuff my wife had to miss work and my son school for this B.S. so that the insurance company knows I'm now lying .Oh well I'm done venting and by the way F the insurance and w/c companys.

• I have issues with those words as it means Independent medical exam. There is nothing independent about it. Whoever hired them is who the doctor is working for. In my state you don't have any choice in it. So work comp hires them and picks them. So yes they have a vested interest in what they right. Why do they make you go to them every 6 months? Are you on permanent disability from work comp? Just curious how that works. Are they picking the doctors as well? I'm glad that is over for you and hope you don't have to continue to endure those stupid appointments. When i did the IME they told me they can't treat me just there to examine me and make opinion. So I really don't see the point in them since there own doctors already dx my issues, just some more waste of time and money.
  • dgardineer,
    I also am from PA and I was sent for a IME in June of 08, I was injured on the job in Sept of o7, and had emergency Cervical surgery in Nov of 07 and have not been released to work since then. The IME backfired on the comp carrier in my case, the doctor actually sided on my side so the comp carrier did not use his report during my hearings. I am now awaiting the WC Judges findings in April of this year, my Lawyer seems to think that it will be a rather large award in our favor. The system here does not seem to be fair to the workers, but hopefully that will change. Good luck and hope all goes well for you.

• At least you don't have a claim in MICHIGAN! I worked for the state for 20 years with the back getting worse constantly, filed for Long Term Disability Insurance when I couldn't go back to work and they denied my claim and are sending me to an IME, in the meantime I have no paycheck, my health insurance is $1100/mo.! To top it off the IME they are sending me to is a Chiropractor(DC and DO)they hired and when I googled his name he has been in 5 lawsuits and testified for the insurance at every one! He was even featured in Lawyer's Online Weekly newsletter as "one of the key witnesses" for State Farm Insurance on a WC Claim! How would you like THAT stacked against you? In the meantime I have no money and haven't had since 1/09 and no health insurance so I can get better! What a system! Good luck to you! I wish someone would start a poll on how many IME's the insurance company's have hired that actually agreed someone was disabled! Maybe 1% or less I would think!
  • 8} I have been to 2 IME reviews since my car accident 7/30 8} /08. My first one was with a neurosurgeon and my second was with a Orthopedic (who had his license revoked for 3 years because he didnt document 4 surgeries he performed). I just received a letter for my 3 IME with a Physictrist which will be in April. I recommend anyone who has to go to these reviews check out the doctor on your local Medical Board website and more then likely they have a bad history because these doctors cant get a real ethical job. I would also recommend bringing a tape recorder and tape your conversation because you will be surprised how questions and answers get turned around to screw you and your injury. My attorney told me that the insurance company can send me to IME every 90 days.

First of all, these IME reviews more then 99.9% will never be in favor for the patient because that means the insurance company will have to pay money. These people are NOT your friends and they dont want to help you get better especially by using their money. They want to avoid at all possible paying for the surgery that is really needed to get you back to your normal life. which mine would be a 3 level ACDF.

My 1st IME was with a neurologist and what a joke.. The doctor (?) didnt do normal motor or muscle testing, he proceed to stick a cotton ball in my eye to see if I felt it..WHAT? Well of course I felt it and so did my contact..duh. He ordered me to get an EMG done because the finger numbness I was having he stated was Carpal Tunnel. Which back fired for him because my EMG showed a c5-6 nerve compression and not Carpal Tunnel so now the insurance company was pissed because they have to pay for me to have a nerve release surgery. But this doctor also said I could go back to work all dopped up on pain meds and depression meds.

My second IME was the best of all. The doctor made me wait 3 1/2 hours to be seen and then the exam took an 1 hour. This is a trick of theirs to try and piss you off enough so you leave without being seen. I wasnt playing that game. This is the doctor who had his license taken away and you could tell by looking at him the reason why..So this guy told me that I could only answer his questions and couldn't say anything else. So of course one can construde answers to be more or less then what the real answer is..The doctor also has you point and show them were the pain and problems are to trick you. Then the doctor writes "patient had no problems showing me the problem areas and had no pain doing so". Then this doctor did some muscle testing which caused alot of pain in my neck so I started to cry and the doctor writes in the report that I had "abnormal pain behaviors". What the heck is that??? If it is painful how is it abnormal? Or is he calling me a liar?? So after all said and done this joke doctor states in his report that I'm recovered from my sprain/strain injury, can go back to work, dont need pain meds. So my insurance company has cut me off of all medical, meds, household help..everything. Its amazing how you get recovered when I havent had any medical treatment to fix my injuries. But little does the doctor know that the whole exam was taped and who will have the last laugh with his report. I'm sorry but everybody needs to cover themselves from these types of doctors because the only person who wins is the doctor. After he deposits the check the insurance company wrote out. I'm not sure how these doctors sleep at night or why they even become doctors in the first place. I have been working in the medical field for over 20 years and I chose that field because I care about helping people not because it had a dollar sign attached.. Just another bit of information about IME's these doctors receive about $500-650 for the exams. So these insurance companies are paying that amount for a bogus report to help them not pay what is really needed for your injury. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

A little background into my case. 39 year old who was involved in a rear-end car accident where it pushed me into the car in front of me. The guy who hit me had no insurance and now I'm sueing my insurance company. I have suffered with disc herniations c3-c7, spinal cord impingement, c5-6 radiculopathy, spinal stenosis. Have no prior accidents to my neck and now need a 3 level ACDF and scared.

I'm sorry so long but this subject really turns me the wrong way. Insurance companies are there taking your money but when you need their money it's a different story. Good luck to all that have to suffer through IME's but if your not brave enough to do the tape recorder then take notes immediately after the exam so you have documentation.