Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS Trail #2--Using a "pad" vs. the usual electrode lead(s)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Pain Management
I recently "failed" an SCS trial because the lead(s) could not be properly located due to excessive boney-growth and scar tissue from several fusions. The plan is now to cut a small "window" into the correct location (T11/12) and then to implant a "pad" instead of the usual lead(s) used for this (Medtronic IPG) SCS protocol.
Woulld like to know if anyone has had this done--level of success and how many "tries" did it take to have the correct location identified? The typical implantation surgery has the patient awake (able to relate pain level decreases, etc.) but this will be done with a general due to the complexity and risks with a moving target...
The doctor says the use of this "pad" allows this to be more of an "area coverage" instead of the linear/point coverage of the single lead. Looking for someone with any experience on this...please respond!

• I have the Medtronic Specify 5-6-5 paddle lead. Mine was implanted through a laminectomy at T7/T8 and it only took one try.

The doctors need your input with the percutaneous leads because they have to be moved both vertically and horizontally to create the best field of coverage. With the paddle lead, all 16 electrodes have a static placement in relation to each other and the paddle is designed to sit mid-line on the spinal cord, so the only other question relates to the level at which to implant the paddle. Since your doctors already know they want it at T11/T12, there's really no input they require from you during the surgery.
  • Just curious-you say you had excessive boney growth. Does this impinge on nerves and cause you pain? If so, why is that not being removed? Or is it the scar tissue causing you pain?
  • before I get into my experience...how did they decide T11 -12?? Do you have have back pain too? Pls let us know as soon as you can so I can respond right :)
    thanks and take care