Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

For the Ladies: Preparation for March 24 1 Level C5-6 Surgery

MoonbabyMMoonbaby Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I've printed out the "must haves" list -- thank you! That helps a lot. I've also made an appointment with our inhouse employee health nurse to adjust my work desk for better post-surgery ergonomics. Will probably be ordering a book holder and possibly different keyboard.

I contacted my regular physician and asked for my daily prescriptions (GERD/hypertension) to be filled in liquid form ... I gather swallowing pills will be difficult.

So I think I'm pretty well set... but have a couple of "embarrassing" questions.

For the ladies:

After surgery, was having your period a problem? What about finishing-up after your go to the bathroom? Any suggestions to make it easier?

• You are much more prepared than I was. Good luck! I'm new here so I'm sure you'll get some good answers from others. The first question I can't answer from experience because luckily I'm past that phase in life. But I can imagine it might be difficult. I have an unusual answer for your 2nd question and I'm happy to share it with you It was very difficult and embarrassing for me. I wanted to be self-sufficient. Determined to find something around the house I could use because my husband kept forgetting to buy tongs or find something at the store. OK, here goes ....this is kind of funny and cheap...I came across an extra swifter duster handle in the closet! Yes that's it! It has been a lifesaver, perfect! OK, wrap the tp once in the middle to hold it in place, then all the way around both prongs as many times as you prefer, wipe, then hold it downward, shake, the tp falls into the toilet without mess or touching! But remember not to put the tp on tight, give it extra leeway so it will shake off easily, it's that easy. TMI, I'm short and the BR issue was a big problem for me until I found the perfect solution, at least for me. It's also easy to clean if needed. And you can put it in a ziploc and take in your purse if you need to. FYI.... a long distance friend, very sweet with good intentions, bought me a real "wiper" from a site on line that is suppose to hold the tp and be easy to use but the handle is way too long to hold and use comfortably plus its too wide and does not fit well to clean as well as the handy little "swifter" so( just between us) she wasted $20.00.But all my friends that live here have had a good laugh about the other uses for swifter dusters! LOL I wish you the best of luck and since you have time before surgery try all the tips you get beforehand!
  • Leftback I think you should contact the makers of swifter and get a patent on that!
    Moonbaby, I haven't had surgery but I hear to put everything at eyelevel like things in the bottom drawer. I hope everything goes well for your surgery and recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I came home after surgery and took care of myself as i lived alone. Had no issues with any personal hygiene either. I had also used the bone from my hip so that was rather the worst of the surgery. The only thing i really needed was something to help me get up with. The hip incision was rather difficult to get up from setting position. Now of course i had other things already set up as far as a cooler by my couch and the remote and pens, paper, laptop anything i could possible need to keep me from getting up and down so much. My surgeon had given me a walking problem to begin the following day of surgery. I followed that program to the letter. The biggest thing you have is lifting and to not bend over. Another thing that may help is to pack things in smaller containers. For example in place of the gallon milk have the half gallon. Anyway good luck with surgery and hope all goes well.
  • I was able to take care of myself with no problems, no bathroom issues. I had a similar set up to tamtam -- all my "stuff" by the recliner. One thing I found wonderful, my "adult sippy cup". It's a water bottle by camelbak, the design enables you to drink, even if you are not sitting up.

• Hey Moonbaby,

I was wondering if you are on any kind of BC because you could always continue with the BC instead of taking the sugar pills and hopefully avoid your period for that month. Sometimes it works for me and other times it just delays by several days or more. Any time you could buy would be helpful. I did not have any bathroom problems. Goodluck!

• Hi Moonbaby,

I'm glad that you posted, as I'm having surgery March 25th! I too am looking for ideas and have printed out the tips and suggestions on this board. Thank God for the good people here helping us all through our surgery.

I'm having a laminoplasty - C3-C7. Post surgery, I will be in a hard collar for 2 1/2 months. I'm not sure what will be worse - getting through the surgery recovery or wearing the hard collar!

I want to thank Snapdragon for posting the website for the camelbak sippy cup! With the hard collar, I won't be able to turn my head nor lift my head up or down. I'm going to order the 'sippy cup' today!

Please post when you can after surgery. I will try to post as soon as I'm able to also.

Gentle hugs,

• Just wanted to let you know that swallowing pills isn't difficult after ACDF for a lot of us, others it is. So possibly you will be okay with your GERD med in pill form if you can't get it filled in liquid.

I had no problems with personal hygeine after ACDF. I think those who do have problems are people who have had back surgery. First time around I wore a soft collar, second a hard. In either case, it was not difficult to keep myself clean.

Good luck, and please post back if you have other specific questions.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Thanks Everyone!!

Great ideas... really loved the Swifter one... and I just might have an extra of those. I'm not on birth control (tubes tied)... so I can't really control when I get my period, however it has been pretty regular and I'm scheduled for surgery the week after I should be done. So everything *should* be alright. <<fingers crossed>>

The GERT tablet is really small, so not worried about swallowing that one. But my two horsepill hypertension meds will have to be provided in liquid. Again, not an issue.

Based on what ya'all said, I've started to put toiletries at waist level and practicing washing my hair without moving my head too much. That's quite a challenge! Not sure how I'll blow-dry it (long hair, normally bend over to dry it).

Only 3 weeks to go!!!!
  • I had C4-5 and C5-6 the day after Christmas and I was taking pills right away...it was not bad they put it in Jello for me to swallow and it worked well..by the time I got home I could take them with water! I did not have any problems with the bathroom or really getting in and out of bed..it was much easier than my L5=S1 fusion two years ago...I am doing awesome now! Only problem is now I need rotator cuff surgery next Tuesday as my right arm did not come back and they finally did an MRI and it is torn. hugs, cheryl