Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back to work after level 2 acdf

cliffy1012ccliffy1012 Posts: 92
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
well guys and gals i go back to work march 2nd. this last 4 months has felt like forever. before surgery and during recovery i was skeptic about returning. but as i get closer to the 2nd my skepticism has changed. im ready to return and get busy. i worked hard and pushed myself to get back to a normal life. but i also want to thank everyone in SH for the support and motivation. going to chat and having some good times and laughs,also some serious talks and helping each other through tough times. i think if i had to do this recovery alone at home with no one around and not to be able to talk or chat with anyone would have slowed my recovery,and i thank my new friends in here!! your the best!!! as for keeping in touch ill try to get on weekly or leave a note or 2 if i cant make chat.also leave a pm for me when u can. so again thanks for the support and friendships.

a friend forever

• That's great news! I'm happy for your successful surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi
    it's amazing the differences from person to person when they talk about recovery and returning to work. i just started P.T. last wk and am trying to figure out when i might be returning to work. can i ask u a few questions about your journey? how many wks has it been since your surgery? what kind of work do u do? what age group are u in? what do u think was the most helpful in regaining your strength/stamina? thanks for any info u can give me and best of luck back at work.
  • i had my surgery nov 13. i started walking short walks the next day. worked my way back up to 6-7 miles. if i felt worn out i took a break on some days and pampered myself. when i made it through six weeks i started exercising with 10-15 lbs, but no more than that for several weeks. i slowly increased the weights on a weekly basis.i do my neck exercises every day to stay flexible in the neck. the doctors have given me a 35 lb weight limit to go back to work so ive been working out with a max of 35 lbs now but working out every 3 days with a day or 2 break in between.if your not a big exerciser stay with light weights and co different muscle groups and do them slow. dont rush it!! i dont do any heavy weights anymore cause of my weak left arm, when it gets tired or sore i stop.
    as for my work im a mailman. i carry an average of 20-25 lbs of mail on each block and walk around 10 miles. so i had to get back in shape before i went back or i wouldnt have made it one day. so stay active as much as you can without hurting or wearing yourself out. take it easy when needed and dont strain when lifting things.have a safe recovery.
  • i do plan to take it easy on the weekends now that im back to work. since working out im back to the point i want to be. it feels good to be out of pain. today i get to rebid on my old route i had for 5 yrs. its 90% business so i get to drop off the heavy stuff. ive changed my ergonomics to fit my lifestyle. i even made a new bag with a back support to go around my waste instead of my shoulder. i just have to learn that the old MR INVINCIBLE is no more and i have to ask for help to lift something when needed. and yes it is always good to talk to people in here and chat. couldnt have done it without you guys!!