Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any good products for reducing back pain that you could not go without?

FormerfireFFormerfire Posts: 148
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone - I had surgery following L5S1 herniation and am 10 months later still rehabbing and looking at how to minimise pain.

I was just wondering if there are any products that you COULD NOT DO WITHOUT in your day to day attempts to stay pain free.

I have found one thing, a mesh back rest, but I imagine there must be heaps of good ideas out there, I just don't know what is rubbish and what actually works for people.

Thanks for your ideas
advertisement

Comments

• but makes things a whole lots easier to deal with & that is my trusty hot water bottle! I use it day in day out, mainly at work, in the small of my back, use a cushion behind it so I don't sit too far back. Some times if the pain moves into the hip area I will put in that specific point. I know this is an obvious one but people sometimes over look them ! Good luck with things & I will be popping back to see what other tips you get from people as I will try anything once !! LOL. DB
  • Just reading your post is making me go fill up that hot water bottle. You are right, all too quick to forget.

I just thought there must be heaps of things people use that bring relief....rather find out from the experts than the sales sites lol.

Good luck with your next surgery :)
  • I have to agree with bedding...I've only have a horrible time sleeping and was just talking about getting a memory foam topper for my bed. My parents surprised me just the other day and gave me one as a gift. They're on sale at Costco right now. Anyhow, it's so nice not to have my hip and back hurting like crazy when I wake up!

Other things- definitely the lumbar pillow, that helps a lot. Tennis balls to help work out real tight muscles in my back, as well as my exercise ball to do help with stretches and loosening up my back. I'm a ways out of surgery and am still using my toilet seat riser, love it! Hm, last thing I can thing of is ice packs...and the hot packs too, but I really love ice for when my nerve pain is real bad.
  • Helps my muscle spasms the most.I have a memory foam mattress topper 2" as well that really made a difference.I wasn't sure 2" was going to do it (lol) but it really helped..considerably,and we have a pretty good mattress,but it was too firm so the MF made it possible for me to sleep on my sides again.

*This is outside of my medication of course ;))
  • If I had to choose one thing that helps me the most, it would be my tens unit. I have used it daily for 2 years, and it keeps me off of heavy pain killers.

Also, I have a "sock buddy" which is basically a sock filled with rice and I heat it up in the microwave and use it on my neck. It stays warm for a long time and conforms to my neck as I wrap it around.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I have a quilt here,and on one corner of it is a stain (don't ask-lol),so I'm going to make heating pads using the rice to fill different sizes and different amounts of rice..because this quilt is really pretty,king sized & 100% cotton.

I wonder-do you have any suggestions-I don't have any experience with the rice heating pads other than what I've read on here.How long do you warm them and about how long do they stay warm? I know it'll be different for different sizes & microwaves,but I was just kinda hoping for an idea.I'm going to give them away as gifts to people.Just a little happy gift,not b-day or anything-lol.

I'm making some snakes for drafty doors too.Can you say bored :??
  • My rice pack stays hot for about 15 minutes. I just throw it in the microwave for about 2-2.5 minutes. Apparently it can also be frozen and used for an ice pack, but I haven't tried that. For my adult size knee high sock, I used a full 24 ounce pack of rice.

That sounds way cool to give them as gifts. I know someone who makes "feet warmers" to give away, and basically it is the same thing as my sock buddy, just a little larger. You can also use dried corn rather than rice. If the rice is in the microwave too long it does start smelling like rice cooking, so if you don't like that smell, try something else to fill it with.

I was also told that you can make your own hot/cold packs by filling a gallon size freezer bag with light corn syrup (karo). If you try that method though, make sure you double bag it.

Happy sewing robin!
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I probably sound like a broken record by now, but that's because I'm passionate about a pain relief product that I know works. It's a pain relief shoe called Z-CoiL. They are a bit different looking, to say the least, but the God honest truth is that they are very effective in helping to relieve my back pain. The shoe has an orthotic built in to it for proper arch support, which my other shoes have none, and the shoe absorbs an amazing 50% of the shock and impact that would otherwise agrivate my existing back pain ten times over. They're shock absorbers for your feet basically, and the shoe is totally adjustable and customizable to your own personal needs. They help with foot, leg and back pain, as well as hip and knee pain too. And boy oh boy do they ever work. Doubt me? Then read more about them and try them out for yourself... http://www.nowhere.com

Post edited to remove URL. Solicitation is not permitted on Spine-Health

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator 03/02/09
  • I previously had major problems with lower back pain. I would wake up in the middle of the night if I shifted in my sleep awkwardly and it would send shooting pain up my spine. There were times I would bend over to pick up a shoe or something off the ground and would be brought to one knee. This is my first post, so I don't want to come across as a spammer, but my doctor recommended something that changed my life. I have found no information on any of these forums in regards to it. I don't want to violate any board rules so I won't post the information, but I want to leave my email address if anyone is interested in the information. I can tell you that for the first time in 6 years that I'm pain free in my lower back.

Shoot me an email and I'll pass along the information: marinefreedom@gmail.com

trust me, it's worth inquiring.
  • I think we all talk about brand names. As long as we're not providing a link and purposely spamming a support group.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    My memory foam mattress topper and my zero gravity recliner!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • carnt be without our recliners ! an essential piece of kit for the bad back and to travel in my 3 year old beloved hyundai Tucson 4x4
    STRAKER
  • Cindy? Isn't that your name? lol.

Thanks for that info.

It's cool getting ideas on how to do things at home-gives me things to do & saves money too :)))

I wonder why the KARO for hot/cold packs..I wonder if it cracks or stays soft when frozen.I wonder why I'm asking when I have karo in my cupboard & I could simply try it out :))(
  • Those of you that love your recliners....what brand/type do you have? I'm pretty new in my journey towards healing my back & I need some relief.
    Thanks in advance...I'm loving this thread!

Oh, PS - I put feed corn in our heat packs...makes it a nice moist heat that stays hot for a long time (1+ hours).
  • Memory foam mattress and pillow helped with some pain. Heat also helps and I have an infrared platinum heating pad. I also have massage machines, something like TENs machine. I ordered the posture-pump and waiting to get that delivered soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Without a doubt, my TENS. It is the only reason I can make it through a work day. I run it nearly constantly because it does affect the nerves and pain signals, they decrease a bit (but don't go away completely). As soon as I shut it off the pain is immediately back.
    Jay
  • laz e boy are about the best
    mine like the one in the friends tv series show
    STRAKER
  • i tried lidoderm patches 4 days ago first time since i decided to go back to work and i need to be able to sit. they work very good. some people say that they do not have relive, but i find them helpful. patch is small, but i found that i can move it and it will still work if i develop pain in different area during the day.
  • I want to know about those! You say they are similiar to rice warmer packs. Explain please! Is it a pack to put in your socks? I'm probably being dense here, but my feet are ice cold all the time. I have a little convection heater pointed under my desk, but just got my elec bill, and noticed it was up almost $10.00. Would love to find something I can make or buy to help my feet. I bought an Earth Theraputics at Bi-Mat for my neck. Not sure what is in it besides lovely smelling lavandar and herbs. Very soothing.

Maggie
  • gcrowley310ggcrowley310 New Hampshire Posts: 14
    Does anyone have experience with the purchase of a leg-elevating pillow for bed? Is it worth the money?  I tend to be a side sleeper and I use a full-length body pillow between my knees. Lately though, I keep rolling onto my back in my sleep and without the knee elevation, my pain level goes way up. 
  • A pull up bar. Hanging from it for spinal decompression.
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 716
    edited 06/11/2016 - 9:02 AM
    There were times I used my TENS unit 24/7. It helped so much! Also, ice packs and heating pads. I am pre-surgery and wondering about using something for both the car and my chair at work. Small pillow behind my lower back?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.