Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sciatica getting better, now mid back pain/tighness

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
My sciatica after 3.5 month is getting better, hovewer the last month or so I started having pain in mid back - right below the low back portion. It is so tight and somethimes I feel that the bones are hurting themselves. Especially when my lumbar roll touches that area. My PT said that the area is very tight and does some manipulations for that but I do not see a relive from them, sometimes it is even worse after he does something there. He said that sometimes the problem in one area (lower back l4-L5 herniation) become a problem somewhere else due to different muscles trying to compensate the weakness. Anyone has something like that - pain in the mid back in the middle of the spine? Any suggestions on how to relive it?

• I have something similar, I had lumbar fusion surgery in December and in the last month I have noticed this tightness in my mid back. Neither my Nuero or my Physical therapist think its too much to be concerned about yet they dont know why I am feeling it. They both say its muscular as my body learns to heal and compensate as you were told but I swear if feels like someone has punched me in my spine at times. It feels like the bones not the muscles. So far Ive been told nothing is out of the ordinary but it just feels like my mid back is going to snap its so tight. I dont know if thats similar to yours, but mine is especially bad when I am sitting. Hopefully more will post to this thread with more info or experiences with this.
    Best Wishes
  • Good that your sciatica is improving! Have you had a fusion like the PP?

If not, maybe you should look into VAX-D for sciatica/back pain therapy. I'm a big proponent of the procedure. No pain, no surgery... just keep in mind, it'll only work if you haven't had a fusion done.

Worth checking into!
  • erica, did you drop foot improved after surgery? How long did you have it before the surgery? I have a drop-toe; not the whole foot and I am thinking about surgery (still) if I will not get my functions back. They did improved a little over the last few monts.

I tried different stategies and I noticed if I do not press into lumbar roll while sitting it is not as painful. I am not sure if you are using one. I also found that doing few pelvic tilts while standing or while lying down kind of streatch the tightness. No tighening the muscles, just tilting. By no means it is gone, but it is not getting worse.