Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is a successful back surgery outcome?

backman38bbackman38 Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone,

I've had time to heal after my surgery. It was a microdiscectomy, microlaminotomy and foraminotomy. What do surgeons consider a successful outcome? Prior to surgery, I had a numb foot. It's mostly back. I had a burning leg. and for some reason part of my right leg went a little numb. Fast forward to now and I am pain free sitting. However, remaining upright and standing brings on some sciatic pain on the side/top of the leg. And my foot starts to be uncomfortable (like pressure) as I stand and work during the day. So, what do we think is a success? What does the surgeon consider as a success?

Hope and healing, all in good time,

• successful depends on prepective i guess...and every one has different expectations...

if you go into surgery expecting to be pain free, and come out pain free, then you have success!....this is something that you really must discuss in detail with yourself and your surgeon. every case is truelly different.

• I had a PLIF L2-L5 with the IF being L4-L5, lamenectomy all along L2-L5 to open the canal up.

Prior to the surgery I was having severe sciatica, off and on numbness tingling down my right leg and right hip, throbbing in my lower back which kept getting worse.

Instantly gone after surgery. 1 month post op as of..tomorrow, and still pain free, doing great.

So I would consider the relief of your reasoning for surgery as succesful with limited side effects or new issues.
  • I think there is the success as defined by the medical community and then the success as defined by the patient. It is important that the patient understands what the doctor means when he talks about a successful outcome. Otherwise there is too much potential for disappointment.

Also,in almost all cases, spinal surgery is done for pain relief. It will never return the patient 100% to the way he or she was prior to the onset of injury or pain.