Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LYRICA for back/neck pain after surgery

DegenerativeShellyDDegenerativeShelly Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Guys, just had fusions done on C4-5,5-6 and 6-7 and was wondering if anyone had tred Lyrica for the nerve spasms afterwards

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I've had "a little more" done along with fusion to C3 thru C6. I'm on 900mg
    of Gabapentin/Neurontin due to nerve pain in my neck/shoulder area.
    So far it's been working ok but my neurosurgeon said if it gets worse he would prescribe Lyrica. Others here have reported good relief with Lyrica.
    Best of luck to you and take care,
  • I've been on Lyrica 300mg for 3 yrs after my lower back
    surgery total disc replacement L4-L5, L5-S1 and it has
    helped me a lot. I have permanent nerve damage and chronic
    pain on right side. I might have to stay on it for the
    rest of my life. I may be having a fusion on neck C5-C6
    in the near future for stenosis and bulging disc. Lyrica
    has been helping me with my neck pain too.

I hope you have a great result with the surgery you just had
    and lyrica helps you too.

Take Care! Christie
  • I was given Lyrica twice. The 1st time was about 9mo before my ACDF, & I had severe muscle aches as a side effect and didn't do much else 4 me. I was given it again post op, with no results & taken off it after 2 weeks. I hear good things about it from others on here, just not in my situation.
  • I take Lyrica now for my chronic nerve pain (300 mg / day). I was up to 2700 mg of Neorontin a day before they would switch me. I like it, it does the trick. The one thing about it though is if I miss a dose, the nerve pain comes back within a few hours. With the Neorontin, it seemed to stay in my system for a little longer, so if I was a few hours late on my next dose, I was OK. They both make me tired, but it seems like the Lyrica is keeping my head out of the clouds a little better. Good luck, I hope this is only a temporary thing for you and you get better soon.

• Hi Shelly-I started Lyrica about 2-3 weeks post-op and have found it to be very helpful with reducing the nerve pain to a lower or more manageable level. Prior to starting Lyrica, I'd have strong nerve pain each afternoon through the late evening/early morning EVERY DAY!! Now I can focus more on dealing with the numbness/weakness in my arms and legs which have extremely limited my life.

hope this was helpful...regards...jason
  • Thanks everyone for your help..Spoke wiht my Doctor about it and its terribly expense over here in Australia....SO I wont be going onto that..
    Take care all
  • Hi there. I am new to this message board and new to this much nerve pain after I had two surgeries to correct the problems in the lumbar region of my back. Now, the nerve pain in my feet and legs is truly horrifical!! Never experience any pain like this!! I have tried Lyrica early in the pain management and body couldn't handle it, and it wasn't doing anything to help the problem of fibromyalgia or the back pain. He also tried me on zonegran which also did not work so had to stop it too. I had been give gabapention early on in the treatment of fibromyalgia and two other new meds and I had a bad reaction to all three of them together so was taken off all of them. Several years ago I was on gabapentin for almost a year and it did fine with my system back then when I was much younger. I will start gabapentin on the titration method tonight, so wish me luck, as i wish the best for all of you having to constantly deal with all this pain and still go on as nothing is bothering you. God Bless.

zella56 8>
  • I too had disc replacement & fusion on L4/L5 and L5/S1. I have been told recently that I have nerve injury or nerve damage. My symptoms are extreme pain in my right buttock/thigh esp when I lie down. The pain is unbearable and has been getting worse effecting my right leg all the way to my feet and my back and sometimes on the left side also. I am wondering if your pain is in these same areas particularly the buttock/thigh area? I have had multiple tests and this is the only answer the docs seem to have. I am devastated thinking that I may deal with this pain for the rest of my life. I just started Lyrica and pray that it helps. I have to sleep in a recliner and am very limited to the amount of walking I can do. Has your pain gotten better over time and is your pain in the same general locale? I so appreciate any insight that you can give me!
  • I'm with kattoo. Lyrica made me absolutely stupid. No concentration, short term memory issues, speech issues. For example I would walk into the grocery store and look around wondering what I had to buy. And not remembering I have a list in my pocket. Or when speaking I would be in the middle of a sentence and just stop because I forgot what I was talking about! With the help of my doc I weaned off and many of those symptoms went away. I still have concentration and stuttering issues. Oh, the Lyrica did absolutely nothing for my nerve pain either.
  • February tried Lyrica 100 mg twice daily.....not helpful. March tried Lyrica 150 mg twice daily....not helpful & no side affects. April started Lyrica 225 twice daily...no side affects.....starting to help but does not last me 12 hours. Fill in with Gabapentin 300 mg. I have spinal cord damage in my neck caused by the titanium plate shifting & permanently damaging my spinal cord. Nerve damage down my neck into both arms & hands.
  • CinbadCCinbad Posts: 55
    edited 04/26/2013 - 12:26 PM
    I tried Lyrica. Didn't feel too bad on tiny entry dose,but going up to the 50 mg Lyrica totally threw my muscles into a spin and made me utterly stupid. I was calling people by their wrong names - even my own kids. Couldn't even form a complete sentence. Doc helped me off it, but I had horrible withdraws just like you see on TV with heroin withdraw. Scared me senseless. I still have concentration and stuttering issues.

Even worse, the Lyrica did absolutely nothing for my nerve pain either. Just wasted my time and gave me withdrawls