Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

introduction and scheduled for surgery

LovinggardenerLLovinggardener Posts: 494
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello! I am new to this board. I have been lurking for a time. I found this forum on my surgeon's website. cool.

I am scheduled to have a MRI and microdisectomy on next Wednesday. My surgeon wants a current MRI since the last one was done a year ago. According to the old one, I have a 7mm bulging disc at L5S1, which has caused a lot pain. I have had weeks where the pain was manageable, but the last three months have been hell. I have had four lumbar ESIs. The first and the fourth one have helped, but I still have tingling sensations and manageable. My orthopedic surgeon performed some neurological tests, and he found that I had no reflex response on my achille's tendon. Already some nerve damage. I never saw myself in this position, because I stay healthy by being active (yoga/core fusion) and keeping my weight in the normal range. However, the raging pain has forced me to do a lot of things (injections and upcoming surgery) that I never thought to do. Surgeon explained that some people are predispositioned have back problems. Yes, it's true. My mom had a relatively successful back surgery. She still has some back pain, but it's not crippling.

My doctor said that I should recover in two weeks. I would love to hear SUCCESS stories, so that I can stay positive. When did you start feeling better as far the pain and when does the tingling sensation go away? Does the tingling sensation mean that nerve damage is going on? (forgot to ask my dr.)

Sorry for the long post and questions.
Thank you in advance!

• Hello Teachertx, and welcome to Spine Health. Hopefully you will get both the information and support your are looking for. If you are interested in hearing about positive surgical outcomes, there is a dedicated thread for that subject. You will find it in the forum home. I consider my surgery a success, but I had a spinal fusion, quite different from the microdisectomy you will have. I don't know that much about that, but if you have a capable surgeon, coupled with your positive outlook and the willingness to follow his instructions to the T, you have a good chance for finding relief from at least some of your symptoms. Maybe somebody else whose experiences match your needs will give you a more complete answer.

I just want to add, please stay on this site and you will find that you get a lot of your questions answered.

Good luck with your surgery,

• Thank you for your kind, encouraging words.