Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Results of MRI following ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Had results of MRI and they show now have tear in disc at L5 level which ispressing on sciatic nerve. Great!!

After my ACDF last year on C5/6 I don't want anymore surgery, but don'y know what will happen now

My NS wants to do a whole pelvic MRI and an EMG on my legs

Has anyone else had lumbar problems following cervical ACDF, or is it just old age catching up and our backs getting old?

• I also have lumbar issues. I started having symptoms in my left leg (sciatica), Jan. of 08. I always associated it with my cervical disc problems, as the herniation in my neck affected my left side. Right before my surgery (ACDF on 11/03/08), the surgeon had an MRI done & I found out about this whole separate issue. I was stunned! The only reason given to me was "my body is older than I am". The reason for my cervical disc issues is because of an auto accident in 04. I have no idea how my lumbar discs went!?! I am 38 yrs old. I am not obese or in bad shape, eighter.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    I've had the opposite, first lumbar problems then cervical.
    Yes some of this is related to aging, that is something that none of us can really prevent.
    The other part is that once you have a spinal problem and surgery (lumbar, thoracic, cervical) you are in a condition that can easily bring on problems in another area of the spine.
    I have looked at it this way. You spine is like a strong rubberband. For some reason, it breaks. So, you tie a little knot in that rubberband. It is functional, but it will never be like it was before.

So, when we tie that little knot in our spine, we have to workd hard everyday to keep the spine as healthy as possible.
    Do the right things to strengthen other areas of your body so that less stress is placed on your spine.

I dont mean to make this post sound negative, I am just trying to explain what can happen. The positive is that
    we can accomplish just about anything, but that takes a lot of hard work and determination. Many times we just feel that we cant do it all.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Before my spine surgery my neurologist had done a full spinal mri because i had so many physical problems.She wanted to know if my stenosis was just in my neck or if it was all the way down my spine.It was then that i found out that i didn't just have herniations in my neck but also my thoracic spine,lumbar and sacral areas.They are relative to my cervical spine.In other words they balance each other out.What i have in the top of my spine i have in the same area at the bottom.Doesn't matter where you have problems in your spine its going to place stress somewhere else as well.One spot affects the rest of your spine.