Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So much pain =(

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey I am Lyssie and I live in Guildford in Surrey in the UK.

I had surgery for scoliosis when I was 17 and I am now 20. It was found that I have facet joint syndrome of my lower spine, I am fused from T11 to L3 and the FJS is at L4 L5 S1... I also have two slightly herniated discs down there but I am not sure what levels. I suffer from sciatica and have tried facet and nerve root block injections... Then I started to get neck pain along with arm pain and had an MRI and Mr Lam (spinal surgeon) said that I had developed a kyphosis in my neck which was pressing on a nerve (my thumb nerve) and if I dont get the disc back in with working hard on physio (which I have been doing), it could pop out and I'd need surgery. :O :S

I take Tramadol for the pain and am off to my GP this week to get some more... I will ask for a MRI scan as I think my arm pain has gotten so bad recently. Also, could you guys recommend a good nerve pain medication (you see I don't know what they are called LOL) Is there anything stronger than Tramadol as I think it doesn't work anymore since my pain got worse!!

I'm sorry for the life story but I need to talk to someone who actually understands me!

Lyssie xx

• Welcome to Spine Health. There are several types of nerve pain meds and I don't take them so I can't recommend one over the other but I've heard of lyrica, neurontin and I can't think of the names of other ones. I take cymbalta for depression/anxiety but have been told that some docs prescribe this for nerve pain as well.

Just do a search for nerve pain medication on spine health and I'm sure you will get a ton of information on this site.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am currently on Lyrica and am very happy with the pain reduction.. i take 300mg daily and have adjusted to the few side effects. :D there are other nerve pain medications available so please talk to your doctor about them. :-C good luck as you seek pain relief. :D Jenny :)
  • No need for apologies. You will find that we are always here to listen and understand. Check out our Pain Medications section and you will see what experience others have had with different nerve pain meds. Remember that everyone is different and what does/does not work for others may not be the same for you. Your best bet would be to talk to your doc and see what he/she suggests. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • You guys are so supportive! Thank you xx

I am going to my GP on wednesday as I have an exam tomorrow, yikes!

Anywho... ttyl xx
  • Dear Lyssie,

So far, so good. I just "signed up" myself, and it seems like this may be a way to feel somewhat less "alone". In spite of plenty of family support, nobody really understands what we're going through except another person who is feeling similar pain, albeit elsewhere in the globe.

Until I started Cymbalta as one of my 3 main meds a few months ago, I lived on Tramadol as the last bastion of protection before taking the dread Percocet/Oxycontin, which only destroy your stomach and make you act bonkers (everything bothers you when you're on oxy). You may not know this, but taking a simple Tylenol (the generic name is acetaminophen) along with Tramadol can increase how well it works for your pain by a factor of 2-3. Give it a shot, let me know if it helps. A fellow sufferer of pain in my neighborhood told me about it, and for a while it really helped.

Good luck and feel better,