Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What if your pain could be lessened significantly by a change in shoes?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Chronic Pain
I recently read an article that said most people dealing with chronic foot, leg, knee and back pain could make a major dent in their pain level by simply wearing the right shoes. It makes sense to me. They say walking impact is equal to 2-3 times one's body weight. If I, weighing 200 lbs., am incurring 400-600 lbs. of impact pressure every time I take a step, that explains a whole lot as to why my pain is intensified so much while on my feet. My lower back and foot pain is at its absolute worst when I'm on my feet. If wearing the right shoe can make a big difference, than I'm all for it. The article mentioned a few different shoe brands, but the one that stood out to me was a shoe called the Z-CoiL. It's touted as "Pain Relief Footwear", engineered specifically for that purpose. The shoe is a custom fit shoe, and actually has an orthotic built into it! Most impressive of all, the shoe has been tested and proven to absorb and reduce impact by 50%. Wow. The testimonials I've read, which are many, all state wonderful things about the shoes. At the very least, you should read about the shoe yourself. It's quite impressive. http://nowhere.com

Post edited to remove URL, solicitation is not permitted on Spine-Health
Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator 03/02/09

• Are you a shoe salesman?
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I went to a podiatrist and had special inserts made for my shoes. They are no more comfortable than my Merrells. Or any other well made shoe that's built correctly.
    So unless you have a special foot problem. Your probably setting yourself up for a disappointment. A costly one at that!
    Good luck Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • and although they didnt miraculously cure me, they did however help my back pain. They do take the shock out of walking. Think of it like a car with no shock absorber, These have a coil spring that absorbs the shock on your heel. I havnt worn them since surgery, as I cant bend to put them on, but when I am better, I definetly will. They are very comfotable. And no more expensive than my husbands Echo's. You can find stores in most larger cities. We even have them in Iowa.
  • Agreed. They are no miracle product, but they do help make quite the difference. Better than the short term "relief" the costly shots I had been getting gave me, that's for sure. Cheaper too
  • Custom orthotics are a total rip off... By the time everyone gets their cut, you end up paying upwards of $500 for the things. They can help to a degree, but the second problem (next to good support) that is neglected to be addressed is that of shock and impact. The support that orthotics provide is helpful, but unless you reduce the impact stress and pressure your body is incuring, you're only fixing half of the problem. The Z-CoiL shoes are different in that way because they act as shock absorbers, lessening the pounding from impact by half. The most effective competitor's shoes give you 10% impact reduction at best. A shock absorber for your body... ingenious :)
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I,m not exactly financially strapped so I may try a pair just to see. Anyone else out there had any experience with this product? I'd love to here from you before I make this purchase.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I never tried Z coils.
    My weapon of choice for foot pain is Reebok running shoes and Dr Scholls Atheltic version Gel inserts.
    For my foot type this combo works best and is inexpensive.
    The shoes I have preferred for years. The gel soles I added about 8-9 years ago when they were released for sale. I went from constantly sore feet to nary a whisper of pain.

Last year an elderly gentleman at my PT place mentioned he was trying them and reported he was able to ditch his expensive orthotics and had less pain with the gel inserts!

The shoes are my choice and I expect there are other gel soles that will do equally well.

I'd recomend a trial run of gel type inserts with your current comfortable shoes before spending big dollars on shoes.

I hope the moderators leave this alone as the current thread deals with other name brands.

As always, YMMV, (your mileage may vary)
  • Call me vain, but for a $200+ pair of shoes, that's just not that fashion statement I want to make. :))(
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    to potentially prevent additional discomfort and pain.
    This is not limited to any one particular brand. Z-Coils is just one of many. For some people its Merrils, Clarks, New Balance, etc.
    This is all very personalized. What may work for one member can cause discomfort in another.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i have some high quality shoes {boots as in walking boots to be exacts } and trainers and dress shoes .all sat in my wardrobe! carnt wear them .the only thing me feet can stand .CROCS
  • A few years ago when my foot pain had became really bad(I was in agony) I decided to invest in very expensive diabetic shoes because of the extra padding in them. (I am not a diabetic) I had been going through all types of shoes looking for some comfort. Back then I was not on any kind of pain meds just Aleve for my back pain when it got really bad.
    The diabetic shoes were wonderful for several months. Now the foot pain is beyond help from my expensive shoes. :''( I still wear them b-coz they still feel better than any other shoe.
    Gone are the days of wearing any sort of pretty shoe, I would not be able to walk in them anyway. Even in a dress i have to wear my cluncky diabetic sports shoe and socks. :D The cause of my foot and leg pain is nerve damage from scar tissue whare i had rods placed in my spine L4 & L5.
    I also have rods in my neck but no problem from these...thank goodness.
    Luv and hugsssss >:D< to everyone.
    Patsy W.
  • The radiologist who did my husband's radiation therapy wore the Z-coils. She said they were the best shoe for her, since she was on her feet all day. I looked them up, gasped when I saw the price, and went with something different. Makes no difference what I wear, with the pseudoclaudication in my feet and legs, they hurt no matter what I wear. Or don't wear, they hurt even if I go barefoot. The Teva sandal is the closest I've come to comfort, and just not practical in 2 ft of snow :))( like this past winter. Wonder what happens when you jump up & down in the Z-coil? :D I too have a whole closet full of nice dress shoes just gathering dust. Happy Easter all.

• Personally, suffering from plantar fascitis, I stand by my crocs, believe it or not. Prior to discovering crocs, I had to have shots in my feet every 3 months, now only once or twice a year, they've been a foot-saver, so to speak. They never helped my back, though (unfortunately) Z-coils, I looked at them, just too wacky looking for my taste :p I actually got my reg. doc's nurse to check them out, and now she goes nowhere without them either.

This discussion has been closed.