Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weather is it just me??

libby724llibby724 Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am almost 7 weeks post surgery (3Level ACDF with hardware) and live in the New England area where its cold this time of the year. After my surgery I managed to spend almost 3 weeks in Florida and was feeling great. Got back from Florida on Monday and have not been doing so well. The weather has gotten very cold here and we are expecting snow. I sound like my old grandmother but I can feel it in my bones. Everything seems to hurt since Friday night. We are expecting 10-15 inches of snow tomorrow so I think that may have something to do with it.

Can anyone shed some light? Has anyone experienced this or is it all just a coincidence and I am having a couple of bad days.

Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• I always seem to have a hard time when the weather changes to anything damp, when the barometer is going down. I had surgery last March 12 for a ACDF C5/6. The pain from my neck is doing well, but on those certain days I have issues with minor pain in the neck area. But right now I am having bad lumbar pain and awaiting surgery, March 24, so in my low back I notice it first.
    I do remember my grandfather tell us it was going to rain by the feeling in his leg where he had bad arthritis.
    I would like to know why the change in the weather gives us more pain?
    Take care,
    Stacey
  • libby,
    Not sure why I feel that way, but since my surgeries I always know when the cold is comming. I had a 3 level laminectomy and the cold air just makes that area ache like crazy, almost like the bone was still conected. I always liked the outdoors in the winter, but not anymore. I find a scarf helps with the aching when I have to be out. Good luck.

mark
  • I notice the cold more now after my ACDF surgery... I never minded the cold weather before, barely ever wore a jacket, but maybe in January.

I would also say, when you're cold you probably tense up your muscles? Anyway, not that it is much, but cold damp weather does give me some minor aches.

When I went for my check-up, I asked my neurosurgeon about this. He said the weather could bother me, so I know I'm not crazy ;)
  • Yes indeed the weather can impact you! The changes in barometric pressure outside also cause pressure changes within your body and the added (or decreased) pressure can most certainly cause pain.
  • The way my whole cervical problems started was interesting. In the afternoon, I'd get painful goosebumps on my arms, followed by a chill in my arms I couldn't get rid of, and then finally the muscles would just ache. It was a strange feeling. Anyway, I say this because I've noticed that ever since those beginning symptoms, I get cold much easier than I ever had before. I'm actually not sure I'll ever be comfortable wearing short sleeves again. I wonder - could this be part of what happens to us?

Cath
  • But it seems like lately when I feel cold the only way to describe it is that I feel it in my bones its like my bones are cold. I always keep checking the thermostat cause I am sure the furnace isn't working. And I was one who never liked it too hot in the house I was always warm. Now its like its in my bones and thats the only way I can describe it. But once the snow came today the pain was better at least. So maybe it does have to do with the pressure. Whatever it is at least I know I am not alone.

Thanks
  • My Physical therapist was just talking about this. He stated that when it is going to rain or snow that all of his patients come in complaining about increased pain. I am a walking barometer myself.Any hint of barometer changes, I hurt. My husband watches the weather channel all of the time and he lets me know when I will have increased pain. Isn't that nice of him?LOL!
    Bethy
  • I spent the last 8 winters in south florida this is my first winter in Delaware and im on the edge of suicide from neck pain it must be the stenosis,
  • i too believe it has to due with the barametric - but is it the change of this or is it when it gets above____ or below _____. I ask, because I do not know, wondering if anyone else does.

It has warmed up in my area and I am having some really tough days, the presure is 29.9 - i checked it out to see if i can see if there is a relatinship b/w pain and the degree.
    pfm
  • Typically it is the change that causes the discomfort, because your body will adjust to the changes in pressure after a while. Think of it like a balloon-as you blow the balloon up, it increases the pressure on the inside which stabilizes after you stop blowing. If you let air out, the outside pressure is greater, causing the balloon to deflate. In either of those dynamic situations, if the balloon had "feelings", there would definitely be the potential for pain.
  • nicely done explaination - boy do i feel like a balloon this last few days!
    pfm
advertisement