Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

confused and scared, some advice please

jeq1977jjeq1977 Posts: 87
I'm looking for some advice...

I don't know why all this suddenly came to me, it would have been a lot more productive to ask my surgeon when I last saw him, but I didn't think of it until now. My surgeon's office is closed tomorrow, so I can't ask him yet...

I had a microdiscectomy (L5/S1) and all the pain came back after 3 weeks. Up to that point I was feeling great and walking every day.

I tried to keep walking after the pain returned, but it hurt too much. I saw my surgeon, he told me to rest, prescribed a prednisone pack, and ordered another MRI. I had the MRI today, but will not get the results until Friday.

I'm worried about my back/nerve not healing properly from the surgery since I have been unable to walk for 2 weeks. I've been reading about scar tissue and how important walking is to healing the nerve and back. Resting makes my leg feel better, but then my back feels worse. Walking makes my back feel great, but I can't get very far before I start limping.

Should I try to walk more, and suffer through the limping? Or should I stay in bed and deal with the back pain? If I've re-herniated the disc, does it even matter what I do now? Do I really need to be concerned about scar tissue, or am I needlessly worrying? I'm confused, and afraid of making mistakes and making myself worse...

Since I can't get my doctor's opinion until Tuesday, any advice would be much appreciated.

• The first six weeks are the most important period for being able to deal with the formation of scar tissue. So you have a little window of opportunity here. A few days of doing the wrong thing will not be disastrous!

Since you have the prednisone and the surgeon told you to take it easy, I would follow his advice. I would not resort to total bed rest, but definitely back off on the walking. I would also suggest during this time while waiting to speak to your doctor, avoid driving or even riding in cars. It just puts more strain and pressure on the soft tissue in your back and along your spine.

Chances are you just overdid things a bit and the nerve has become inflamed. Rest and prednisone should take care of that. Just to be on the safe side, take it easy until you get the results from your MRI. A little gentle walking shouldn't hurt anything, but you do want to give that nerve a chance to calm down.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Don't worry about taking it easy tomorrow and talking to your doc the following day.
  • That was me in "panic mode." Thanks for helping to calm me down. This whole thing has just been so frustrating and confusing. The more I read it seems the less I really know. Thank you.