Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks tomorrow!

annmarie824aannmarie824 Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone,
First I want to thank everyone who responded to all my questions before surgery. What a basket case! I had my surgery 2 weeks ago tomorrow. They fused L5-S1 and tried to do a foraminotomy on L4 but the nerves were too squished and tight in there...no room even for instruments so they ended up having to cut some of L4 away and another fusion. Incision is pretty long. Phew! I came home the sunday after. I now take one loratab once or twice a day. Tylenol when needed. Today I showered without my shower chair...yeaaaa. Yesterday I walked to the end of the driveway but later my back was sooo tight. I am not exactly sure what I feel in there. Sometimes I swear I feel the hardware but maybe not. I go back to the doctor on March 19th. My biggest problem was the pain meds, constipation! But I knew that going in. I am in the recliner now. Not sure how much walking is good or is too much walking bad? Anyways, thanks for all your support.
Annie
advertisement

Comments

• Wow! It sounds like you are doing remarkably well! Just remember to take it easy and don't over do it. As far as the walking it is best to ask your Dr. what he wants you to do. I got up ho several times, day and night, to refresh my water, BR, whatever to keep walking. My Dr. wanted me to walk a lot but he preferred me to walk often. He said getting up often and walking more each time was better than walking all at once. You'll soon be passing me! My fusion was 10/16 and I walk just over 1.5 miles, not quite 2 yet daily above walking at the store, house, etc. Remember the recovery is different for everyone and takes time and patience. Don't get discouraged. For 2 weeks post op you are doing great! Keep up the good work!
  • thanks for the encouragement! Doctor called me today and was happy that I now only take one loratab a day. She started me on celebrex today. I think thats for the swelling I feel. Anyways, I thought I had a one level and it ended up being a two level...hopefully I will continue and get to your mile a day!!
  • Keep it up Annmarie!!
  • It is important that you walk even though it may hurt or you may be sore afterwards. Distance is not that important. I think some people overdo it. You have a six-week window of opportunity when the majority of scar formation takes place. Walking is the best exercise to stretch out those nerves that were compressed and to try to keep the scar tissue from forming around the nerves.

Remember to avoid any activities that involve bending or twisting and do not reach up with your arms extended straight over your head. Also limit your lifting to no more than a gallon of milk. At the beginning, when you're not walking, you are better off to lie down or recline to keep your back straight and to keep the discs unloaded, rather than trying to sit or stand. So, basically, rest and walk, rest and walk!! That's your big job for the first part of your recovery.

Sounds like you are doing really well. Keep up the good work and stay patient and positive.

xx Gwennie <:P
  • Keep up the good work! Just don't walk, stand, or sit too much...it's better to rotate them and do everything in moderation so you will continue to improve. I"m still taking tramadol 1-2 times daily, so you are doing very well. Have a good day!
  • Keep on going, your doing great!
advertisement