Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminectomy Surgery Upcoming

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone:

I saw my surgeon this morning. He is planning on a C-3 thru C-7 Laminectomy. I have already sustained permanent nerve damage. Neither my Neuro or my DO are guaranteeing the degree of pain relief this surgery will afford. Surgery is being done primarily to prevent further damage.

This is my understanding of the situation. My Neuro's office will be calling me tomorrow with a surgery date and time. I see my Neuro one more time several weeks before surgery for a pre-op session.

It sure has been a long time coming. I was diagnosed last June. I'm glad something will finally be done.

Ken GreyEagle

• bummer on the nerve damage bit its better to stop it sooner than later
    I hope you do find some relief from the grind of pain.
    good luck to and ill be praying for ya!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Thanks Ranchhand!

Yeah, I've been trying to research this procedure as much as I can on the net. Some of the Medical Universities have good videos and descriptions.

It looked like at least sometimes fusion is done with a cervical laminectomy. I don't know if such will be the case with me. I also wonder about recovery times. I do know my surgeon loves to put collars on his patients.

Thanks again!

How are you holding up these days?

Ken GreyEagle
  • Ime hanging tough, like the kitty on the clothswire! actually ime interning at a local lawyers office, hope to get paid sometime! internship is free , got to do 180 hours a semester, other than that, same pain different days, you know how it goes.
    hope youve been safe from the weather? its been spring down here since december.
    hope there is releif coming for your pain!!!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Hey Ken glad you are getting closer to getting some relief. Here is a link to some videos that may help you understand what they are going to do. Take care. http://www.understandspinesurgery.com/animations.asp
  • Glad you finally got to this point. Hopefully they can get the surgery scheduled soon. Sorry to hear about the permanent nerve damage. I would be interested why they aren't planning fusion, if the damage is on-going. I hope this helps with the pain. Hang in there, you've made it this far. Will pray this gets better soon.

• Yeah, I don't know the details of my laminectomy yet other than it is C-3 Thru C-7. My Surgeon said he will answer my surgery questions at a pre-surgery appointment March 24th. My Surgery is April 8th in the morning.