Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Depression and Coping
We have been going through some pretty rough times with the overall economy. Its something that has probably hit so many people and I believe there is more to come.
I wish I could speak to the point on how other countries are dealing with this, but for now.

So many companies are cutting corners wherever they can to save. Now you could always question if some of those cuts are going to create future problems, but

The scenario

The Employer
The Employee

Good Morning XXX, how are you doing today?
Pretty good Thanks
You know the economy is really creating problems for our company. And as much as I want to keep everyone on board, there will be some changes
Yes, things are getting tight now, I had a couple of ideas on how we could save
Ok, but now what brings me to your office today.
I am sorry , but I have no choice and I am going to lay you off!

That could be and might be happening to almost anyone.
We could have 25+ years with a company, given them our heart and souls, but it just doesnt matter at times.

Please, I do not want this thread to become any political agenda or criticize a company for their actions.
The intent of this thread is to provide a post here on Spine-Health where members in this situation can discuss things.
You all know by now, that I believe in the total package in terms of our health situation. Layoffs is something that can be very difficult to deal with.

- Your company just came to you
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    I joined the company I work for in 1974. I've logged a lot of hours alot of off hours/weekend/holiday work, but I enjoy what I do.

The past 3 years, the company has been cutting back. Basically the call it a Resource plan which is a fancy name for Layoff Two years ago, my manager approached me and said things are looking down, so I dont think we will be able to keep you to the end of the year (2007). Month later, he said, dont worry the pressure is off. A week later he said, sorry, we are going to have to let you go 10/15/07.
    3 days later, he tells me I am good , nothing to worry about.
    Situation was that there was a major project due in the Summer of 2008. Thing is he didnt know that I knew. So basically I had no problems in terms of resource in 2008.
    Fast forward to 2009 and a new resource plan is in place.
    This time, I am really looking forward to it. I am currently on a short term disability that runs through 04/30/09. Right after that, my career is ended. At first I was upset, sort of like a slap in the face. But when I started to think about it, I knew my spine was just being tortured by the work that I do. I pour money into treatments only to have those reversed due the desk computer job.
    I cant wait until it starts. I am fortunate that I have enough years of service plus the right age so I can start retirement right away.
    I am now looking into what my life will be post the company life. Its sort of fun, I have looked at all sorts of jobs, part time, perhaps 20 hours a week and something just light and easy, and most important contact with people.

Every one has different ways in dealing with this subject, I would love to hear views from other members
  • I'm sorry to hear that happened to you but like you said, it's good that you are able to retire right away. Yes, the economy is frightening and I'm sure unemployment will hit in the double digits. Every day on the news it looks worse and worse with no way out. They have fired 40% of the staff at my husband's job due to the housing slump, but he's fine because he's in a different dept. I have a relative that's been looking for a job for 3 years now. 3 years! She's even looked out of town and out of state but there's nothing much out there. I truly feel for people who've been layed off and I pray the economy doesn't dip into a depression. (I haven't worked in a long time but still wanted to contribute to this thread).
  • Ime sorry for the news, but its tempered by the prospect of you getting some relief from the stress.
    I am saddend by the current economy and the suffering people are going through. the worse is the waiting for the axe to fall for some, ime praying swift and sure releif comes to those who need it.
    take some time and travel, eat some "sketti" (a buddys term for his favorite comfort food) stretch out and give a satisfied rooowwwlll!
    I wonder what the next 50 years holds for ya? coz we have been blessed with your work here!
    Be blessed and have a great today!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• For me, in my current state of mind and body I would volunteer to take the layoff so a fellow employee who is a new hire and new homeowner would not lose his job and house.
    I have a very gainfully employed wife and we are out of debt and would not be seriously hurt if my salary went away.

My hope would be that should I be able to get through my unemployment payments with out being detected for the physically challenged person I am, well, maybe I would have an answer and not be so physically challenged!

Now, How I would convince my wife this was a good idea is beyond me?

In Actuality I should be about as close to 100% safe as is possible. I live in a very stable area. I work for a very stable organization. VERY STABLE.
  • I was layed off the beginning of February and it was a total shock. Last fall, before my surgery (before I even knew I needed surgery), I was offered a very nice position with a company I used to work for. The job came with a 20% raise in salary, another week of vacation than I had at my present job, and other perks that were "nice-to-haves." The job itself was not what I really wanted to do and I really loved what I was doing at my present company.

I told my HR Manager about this and, long story short, the company I was with came back with a counter offer to match the salary of the offering company, they would give me another week of vacation, and they promised me that my department would be around for another five years. (This last promise was made because I was afraid the company was becoming unstable because there had been some layoffs about eight months previous.) But (and this is a very big but), I did not get any of this in writing. I should mention that the company I was with has been around since 1962 and so I believed this promise.

Well, I got my raise. I got my extra week of vacation. Then came the surgery with 100% pay while on STD. I was looking forward to going back full time, I absolutely loved what I did, all the employees were like family, everything was perfect, right?

Nope. The bomb dropped on Feb. 5. over 50% of the company was layed off that day. (There is SOME comfort that it wasn't just me.) Nobody suspected it and it was a total shocker.

The result for me has been this: I am so undermotivated to find another job because the economy is so bad. I'm also still mourning losing what I thought was a perfect and stable job with great people, I'm still recovering from my c-spine issues and now I'm fighting sciatica as well.

I know hubby and I will be ok while I'm on unemployment, but somehow I've got to find something inside myself to pull up my bootstraps and get moving on updating my resume, posting it on some websites, getting my portfolio together, etc. etc. etc. It's in there somewhere, it's just hiding and I can't find it.

I also know that we're not as bad off as some people - we don't have children and my hubby has a very stable job. Nevertheless, it's a scary experience, to say the least.

Thanks for starting this post, Ron. As you can see, I definitely had some things to say on this issue.

• myself included, is that I am un-employable at present due to my back problems and with so many other ppl looking too, who is going to consider someone who has ongoing issues??

I know there are laws to protect us but really, there are so many ways around them it is laughable.

So what does one do?

These are going to be challenging times. We just need to keep our heads above water and keep our sense of humor.
    I hope!!
  • I am not sure if we have met, but this is a great thread. I am sorry about what happened to your job after so many years but it does sound as though it is going to work out for you afterall. I am happy for you.

I was working at a hospital 5 minutes from home doing work I truly love. We had a 2 person department and had been assured there was no way they would get rid of one of us and put pressure to do the whole job on one of us. My disc blew Nov 8, 2008, surgery was scheduled for the 25th. I got a call on the 22nd telling me my position was being eliminated because we had less work. The irony was that yes, we were was slow last summer, but it was picking up, as it always does once September hits, so he was not kidding me.

I am still on short term disability. When that runs out I can file for unemployment. I am trying to make up my mind if I want to try to work again or go for SSI. I had a difficult time at my physical for that job, the physician did not want to hire me because of my prior 3 back surgeries and the meds I was taking. But the pathologist was happy with the slides I had cut for him during my "interview" so I was hired per diem at first, then full time after they saw things worked out. Now, add another fusion, who knows what this is going to do with my pain long-term, am I even be employable? I am a histotechician, when I started this job employers were fine hiring people w/o the degree or registration. Today it is different. I was trained on the job, do not have a science degree, so I am not registered. I do have many college credits and am more than half way to my Associated Degree, but I am not sure I could go to school on these meds and finish the subjects necessary, for example organic chemistry, calculus. Topamax seems to eat my memory alive and without being ASCP registered, I am seriously limited as far as who will even consider hiring me.

As far as my job, my boss wound up leaving because she refused to do two jobs by herself and they said too bad. Now, all of the work goes to another hospital, which upset the techs there so much that one of their three techs left, leaving just 2 of them to do all of that work. Poor management decisions effect so many people, it is a shame.

Like Cath, I am mourning losing this job. I loved what I was doing. It is difficult to find a job as a histotech where you are not just sitting for 8 hours straight and I had that. I also got along so well with my boss and the doctors. I am also dealing with this neuritis, something I have never had before, and a PM doc who does not want to prescribe me the medication that really helped me when he gave me samples.

Life goes on, a different life, we will see what it has to offer.

Fused L2-3 to S1 and at C5-6. I have a central herniation @ T11-12 and multiple bulging discs in my thoracic. I also have fibromyalgia and suspected arachnoiditis, awaiting my results of a recent MRI.
  • You know the part that sucks is the company my husband works for is going on strike next month and he might lose his job. It is going to be really hard for him to find another one considering his job is mostly construction work. As for me I am a nurse but most likely won't be able to work much longer due to my fourth disc going out in my neck. How horrible is that. I can get a job anywhere but can't work. My life really sucks!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    as I posted in your other thread.... Take control... What you said about your husband's job in construction, ok that is something you guys cant control.
    But together, you might just find another avenue to explore

• With so many out of work the stations have droped off considerably as to how much gas they are pumping. Out of 34 yrs of driving truck 26 of them have been hauling gas for the same Chevron jobber. He owns 8 stations, 2 transport trucks with 3 of us drivers. Also 3 local delivery trucks & a bulk plant. No one has ever been layed off from this co. in the 26 yrs I've been here. We had a local driver quit & move to salt lake. We have been trying to share the transport deliveries (pipeline to stations) between the 3 of us. Since I've been off for surgery it has helped the other 2 drivers. I only hope when I go back in May things pick up. I have 5 yrs until retirement.
  • Ron-
    I was laid off many years ago and was a single mom and no place to live. God opened a whole new door for me and I am very grateful that I was blessed to find a whole new career.
    I will pray for you and the others who have mentioned losing their jobs, or unable to work because of present physical limitations. When the layoff happened, I thought my whole world was crumbing, little did I know that there were bigger and better things for me to do. Hang in there!
  • I just found out 2 days ago that my contract is not being renewed. I have been there for 20 yrs. I have not been to work since Oct. I thankfully had taken a disability insurance out. It is no where near what I was making but it is an income. I used up all my sick leave days, personal days, the 12 wks of Family Medical with no extensions granted. I am now on Leave of Absence until June 19 which was the last day of my contract for this year. I truly was hoping to return in August, God willing. What a shock to find out I no longer will have a job come August. I carry the family medical insurance. My hubby has heart problems, and me with my back issues. I have been on Cobra now for 2 months and I understand that we can keep that for a while yet. I feel like my whole world is upside down and out of control. I have never lost a job before. It feels like I am suffering a death.This isn't what we had planned for and I am scared now of what the future holds. I know that somehow things will work out, and even if this wasn't what was expected, surely it can't get any worse. I hope. Now Plan B, whatever that will be. I am sure there are people out there who are worse off than I. Now would be a good time to hit that Lottery. LOL